Author Topic: Elizabeth Bult of Collumpton  (Read 743 times)

Offline PeterRG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Bult of Collumpton
« on: Saturday 16 April 16 23:13 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more about Elizabeth Chapman shown in the 1851 census as being from Collumpton, Devon.  I am presuming her maiden name was Bult because another Elizabeth shown in the same census as mother of Elizabeth.  Both women were born in Collumpton.  I have no information on her father or mother (other than her name was Elizabeth and she was born in about 1775).  Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Bult of Collumpton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 16 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Genes Reunited transcription gives the surname as BOLT and it does look like that on the image?

Regards
Giggsy

Offline PeterRG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Bolt of Collumpton
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
you're right - it does look like Bolt rather than Bult.  I've re-titled the post as Elizabeth Bolt of Collumpton.  Thanks for pointing that our - that might be why I've been unable to make any progress :-(

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 16 09:30 BST (UK) »
Some Cullompton registers have been transcribed and are available via GenUKI where the name is shown as BULT. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Cullompton/CullomptonBaptisms1798  http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Cullompton/
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
Have you found Elizabeth and Benjamin's marriage? What was her "condition" when they married? and where was she from at that time? Who were the witnesses?

Maybe her mum was several times married  ;D and so her married/widowed name c 1851 might not be the solution to her daughter's father.

Salute,

Janelle

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 May 16 07:10 BST (UK) »
A long shot.
I have found a marriage of a Rev John Chapman of Collumpton, Devon, late of Bristol College, to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Thomas Oldershaw of Spital House, Castle Donnington. Baptist Chapel, Castle Donnington. Wed 22 Sep 1841. Was wondering if this may be a son and were the family Baptists, or had Baptist connections? Newspaper Archive.
Also mentioned in
http://www.cullomptonbaptist.org.uk/docs/cbc%20history.pdf  Chapter2. Had been minister in Collumpton 1840-1842
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire