Author Topic: Is there a Wall Tablet inside Holy Trinity Church in Horwich ?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there a Wall Tablet inside Holy Trinity Church in Horwich ?
« on: Monday 18 April 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
Is there a tablet type memorial inside the Holy Trinity Church in Horwich, it should be for a man called William Longworth  and be made of black and white marble with a protruding figure on it and other information, William Longworth died 1861.
This Tablet is thought to be opposite another monument to a man called Joseph Ridgway who was a benefactor in the town.
 David.
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Wall Tablet inside Holy Trinity Church in Horwich ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Just to let you know that I have been in contact with the Church to make arrangements to go and have a look for you.

Please could you let me know more about what you are looking for in order that I can of more assistance to you?

I am guessing that it is a wall memorial, it there anything else that I can add in my reply to the Churchwarden ?

Hopefully should be able to visit very soon with my camera :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 16 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah
Thanks for your reply, the only information about the tablet i have was found in an online book (google book) with a detailed description of the memorial to William Longworth, should be a lot of writing on it and also showing the names of his two sons, John and Nathaniel.
The only other info i could find is a very old photo and a much newer photo of the inside of the church, if the tablet is in the postion i think it should be (on the wall ) it may have been changed or moved , not sure , i will load the two images for you to take a look, it appears on the left hand side right under a large window and an upper gallery, the newer photo shows what appears to be just a flat looking tablet, of course i could be wrong and it be some other place inside the church.
The local heritage centre is also hoping to be able to find more, they have been able to find the grave of Williams son , John Longworth who was also a prominent business man and local politician in the town.
David.   
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 16 22:51 BST (UK) »
Looking at what might be the memorial/tablet i wonder why it might look different today, i know the church is a listed building , so would there be a record for this, ie if there had been any damage or for some reason it was changed in the past.
In the black and white photo it appears to be very ornate as reported in a very old book online, but now might be just a very flat and plain slab as a replacement , only one way to find out eh.
Yes i would love to see a modern photo of it.

Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles