Author Topic: Catherine CONDON  (Read 6721 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine CONDON
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 13:50 BST (UK) »
I posted it like that to show why maybe it hadn't shown up in your previous searches.  ;)

There is a marriage as follows:

Name -John Duggan
Spouse - Atherine Sullivanc
1857, Goulburn, New South Wales
Year- 1857
Reg - 1749

May I please ask where you found that? If it is from a commercial website, please don't copy paste, as you may be infringing the database owner's copyright  :)   

NSW BDM online search does not have the spelling error.  Here is the live link, free to search.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

There may well be blanks on the civil registration  (1857).
Here's a thread to help overcome that.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1870 ARGYLE

John DUGGAN, leasehold at Mutbilly
Michael DREW junr, residence, Gurrundah
Michael DREW, leasehold Gurrundah

NB, from other resources (Grevilles PO directory)  I have Mutbilly as MUTTBILLY..... on the main road from Goulburn to Albury, to the north of Lake George, on the third Breadalbne plain.

Grevilles 1875 PO Directory,
MUTTBILLY
John DUIGAN farmer  (spelling as per my directory)
John SULLIVAN, carrier
John SULLIVAN, carrier, Breadalbane
Thomas SULLIVAN, carrier, Breadalbane

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
I am pleasantly surprised by the number of responses to my posting, and I would like to answer or respond to what has been said.
1. With regard to the marriage & death certificate information normally available, my friend said there was no parents shown on the death cert. and she is waiting for the marriage cert. to be sent.
2. I have raised the same issue regarding did she marry Sullivan here or in Ireland. I have gone back on my research for Michael & Ellen and notice that the Church Marriage Record in Kilmallock shows that Catherine Condon was a witness (prob. bridesmaid) in 1839. If the details that Mosher has shown for children of John & Catherine, then Catherine must have arrived between 1840 and 1843.
3. There are similarities in the fact that both Michael & Ellen and John & Catherine, were in the Cumberland/Camden area at the same time. Michael did not move to Gurrandah until about 1848 where they selected a block of land, and eventually they together with John Duggan & Catherine are all in the Breadalbane/Gurrandah area. Still doesn't prove that Ellen & Catherine are sisters, but the probability is pretty high.
4. I have an area map of the Breadalbane Cemetery, and yes, the numbers represent the plots, and the graves for Michael & Ellen & son John are very close to John Duggan & Catherine. There are also later descendants of Catherine's son Thomas's family. They were in graves 24, 26 & 27. There was a headstone for Michael & Ellen's plot, but I called in there two years ago, and there appeared that a wild storm had been through and smashed a lot of headstones and I couldn't find it. Large branches were removed and cut up and there were only stumps were where the old large trees used to be.
5. I agree that the reference to Gunnedah on Catherine's death is purely a misprint and should have been Gurrandah.
6. I do not have any certificates relating to Catherine, as my friend has been doing the research on her. She said there was nothing on the death Certificate and she is waiting on the marriage certificate to arrive to see if the parents match up with Ellen's parents.

Thanks so much for your efforts so far. very much appreciated.
Wildcats13

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:26 BST (UK) »

May I please ask where you found that? If it is from a commercial website, please don't copy paste, as you may be infringing the database owner's copyright  :)   

Cheers,  JM

Oh majm, you have told me that before so there is no way I would copy and paste.  ::)

In typed it out myself, but left the typo in as the others had said they couldn't find it.

We are so lucky here on the Aussie board to have you watch out for our best interests.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
TROVE

LIST OF PERSONS QUALIFIED to Vote for the Election of Members of the
Legislative Assembly, in the years 1865-6, for the Electorate of Argyle,
DREW Michael, residence:  Sheet of Water Creek,  freehold; where situated: Gurrundah
DREW Stephen, residence:  Veteran's Flats,  resident, where situated:  Veteran's Flats
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/100827401

An affray with bushrangers, 1865
Mentions John Sullivan, stepson of a settler named John Duggan,
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/150403795

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
John seems the only one to have stayed in the area. I think the John SULLIVAN as shown By JM as being at Breadalbane 1875 was the son and the only one shown on indexes as staying in that area. He died (if the right one) at GUNNING in 1915
ref # 4220/1915 He is shown son of John and Catherine SULLIVAN on the index.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
Quote" We are so lucky here on the Aussie board to have you watch out for our best interests."

We truly are! Spoken like a true MOSHER.

Neil ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:46 BST (UK) »
We are so lucky here on the Aussie board to have you watch out for our best interests.

I am simply interested in my own interests .... I enjoy using my offline resources to help with posts at RChat.  In my real life occupation away from RChat and in my membership of various committee of management in the not for profit sector, I need to know about Copyright, and Privacy, not sharing sensitive information to a Third Party, posting/publishing on public forums,  Terms & Conditions, and other contractual matters.    Please do not rely on me to watch out for your best interests, that is not my purpose or intent.  RChat is about researching our deceased ancestors, but the commercial websites do have databases, and RChat's T & C are important too.   

Ancestry does have NSW BDM in their amalgamated Australian BDM indexES.   So it is an index of a number of indexes that have existed for umm.... well NSW BDM's online index is based on an index an ancestor of mine (as part of teams of volunteers) helped on back in the 1930s....   

I just do not see why anyone would look up Ancestry's Australian Indexes when NSW BDM is free to search and then post but not attribute their own transcription to Ancestry's database ...   Perhaps I am being pedantic, but that's part and parcel of research rather than simply looking up an index. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 April 16 00:59 BST (UK) »
Still waiting for the marriage certificate to surface, but I recently received a copy of Catherine's death certificate, and it shows that she was 30 when she married John Sullivan in Sydney. Parents details were Unknown. I also found that John Sullivan came to Australia as a convict in 1831,  received his 'Certificate of Freedom' on 9th December 1840, and I believe he is the same John Sullivan that married Catherine. He also came from Limerick.

I have started wondering about any other possible siblings, as on the Kilmallock Church Records, there was Catherine and a Michael Condon shown as a witnesses at Michael & Ellen Drew's marriage on 3 August 1840, and an Edward Condon and a Kate Condon as witness at their daughter Johanna's baptism on 3 September 1840. It's likely that Kate is actually Catherine. I was also reading the 'Echoes of Ballingaddy' last night, and noticed that an Edmund Condon was appointed as one of the Wardens of Kilmallock Union (Workhouse) in 1841, and most likely the same Condon that tenanted the land on which the Church Chapel was built that Michael & Ellen were married in.

There are some trees on Ancestry that show parents James Condon as being born in 1795 and Ellen Mulqueen in 1798, meaning they were 18 & 15 respectively when Catherine was born. Looking to see if that information stacks up. Strangely, I found when going through my research on the Drew family, that a Thomas Condon was a Godfather to Ellen Margaret Drew in 1851 in Gurrundah. Is there a connection?

Wildcats13