Author Topic: NSW death record - Irene Brinton  (Read 4822 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NSW death record - Irene Brinton
« on: Tuesday 19 April 16 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm hoping for some help with this.

The NSW death record number 11488/1935 for Irene E Brinton has "(Aveling)" in brackets under Father's Given Name, though the information seems out of place, eg. "59 YRS SYDNEY" under Mother's Given Name.

My questions are:

1. what could it mean to have Aveling in brackets?
2. what column heading would it likely belong to if not Father's Given Name (eg.Mother's maiden name??)

thanks
Matthew  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW death record - Irene Brinton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

When the index was first being prepared, (back in the 1930s)  if the original entry did NOT list any information under the heading "father's given name" and/or 'mother's given name' the VOLUNTEER preparing the index (a person familiar with family history searchings) would look around the record to see if there were other 'clues' and so put those other clues into the index.

So you have other clues.    Likely AVELING would be the SURNAME recorded on the registration as being for Irene's dad, and likely Irene was aged 59 years and died in Sydney. 

I hope these details helps advance your quest  :)  may I encourage you to consider obtaining an official transcription of the registration.   It may well contain other information .... children of the marriage, the details of her spouse, the name, address and relationship of the informant, where interred, and other family history info.   Best with NSW records, to seek out the actual record rather than rely on index information.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

When the index was first being prepared, (back in the 1930s)  if the original entry did NOT list any information under the heading "father's given name" and/or 'mother's given name' the VOLUNTEER preparing the index (a person familiar with family history searchings) would look around the record to see if there were other 'clues' and so put those other clues into the index.

So you have other clues.    Likely AVELING would be the SURNAME recorded on the registration as being for Irene's dad, and likely Irene was aged 59 years and died in Sydney. 

I hope these details helps advance your quest  :)  may I encourage you to consider obtaining an official transcription of the registration.   It may well contain other information .... children of the marriage, the details of her spouse, the name, address and relationship of the informant, where interred, and other family history info.   Best with NSW records, to seek out the actual record rather than rely on index information.

Cheers,  JM

Thank you for replying, its a big help. I am considering a transcript of this and/or a possible marriage record for her, I'm not yet sure she is the one I'm after so I'll explore the Aveling connection a bit more first.

Matthew :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 03:59 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17195001 smh 29 July 1935  :) (edited to sort a typo, edited before #4 was posted)

So a middle name and not just an initial  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 04:37 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17195001 smh 29 July 1933

So a middle name and not just an initial  :)

Cheers,  JM

Thanks, I had come across this and its a little mysterious that she was cremated without a funeral.  ???

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 04:39 BST (UK) »
I do not find it strange at all that the announcement came after the service.   

To me, the cremation service at Rookwood was the funeral service. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 04:46 BST (UK) »
Within my own NSW families, on both my maternal and paternal sides,  there are many instances of my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins who in the 20th Century were cremated in NSW without any notice being published in any newspaper, specifically at their own requests and with the funeral directors being well aware of those requests.    When I have been responsible for organising the funeral for family members I have known if the person intended for the funeral director to place a notice or not.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 05:00 BST (UK) »
Within my own NSW families, on both my maternal and paternal sides,  there are many instances of my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins who in the 20th Century were cremated in NSW without any notice being published in any newspaper, specifically at their own requests and with the funeral directors being well aware of those requests.    When I have been responsible for organising the funeral for family members I have known if the person intended for the funeral director to place a notice or not.   

Cheers,  JM

Thanks again, I was trying to think up reasons why this would happen and how it might relate to her story, I can leave it be now :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 05:09 BST (UK) »
The cost of an official transcription of the death registration is around $20 Au.   It will give you many details that should help you confirm or eliminate her from your enquiries.   For example, it will give you the name and address of the informant and their relationship to Irene.    Just because the informant did not know her father's given name but believed his surname was Aveling .... likely the informant was a family member.

Cheers JM