Author Topic: Ad Lun/Lum  (Read 866 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ad Lun/Lum
« on: Tuesday 19 April 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    If anyone can help with any of the following I would be very grateful!

I have an Ad Lun/Lunn/Lum marrying Mary Ann Stabley on 31st December 1833 at Auckland St Andrews, Durham. The copy of the register states that Ad Lum (as his surname was transcribed) was of this parish and a Widower. Mary Ann Stabley was of this parish and a spinster. Looks like he signed his name as Ad Lunn, Mary Ann Stabley made her mark as a signature. Witnesses were a William Coulson and a James Hutchinson?

The banns of the marriage of the couple were read on 15th, 22nd and 29th of December 1833, once again written as Ad Lun and Mary Ann Stabley.

On the 1841 Census they are living at Coundon, Bishop Auckland, Durham. He is listed as Adam Lunn, 30, Joiner, not nborn in County, Wife Mary, 30, not born in County, daughter Ann 13 (should be 3) born in Durham and daughter Mary age 1, born in Durham.
By 1851 the family had moved to Whickham, Gateshead. Adam or Ad had now changed his name to Andrew. The census says age 39, Millwright, born Lambeth, Surrey?
On the 1861 census he is still Andrew Lunn, 49, Joiner born Lincoln City, Lincolnshire.
On the 1871 census he is Andrew Lunn, 57, Joiner, born Huddersfield?

Adam/Andrew/Ad and Mary had the following children:

Ann Lunn baptised 12th February 1838, Bishop Auckland

Mary Lunn baptised 20th June 1840 Bishop Auckland

Rebecca Lunn born 1843 Cassop

William Lunn born 1845 Wingate, died 1846

William Lunn born 1847 Kibblesworth

Francis Lunn baptised 8th June 1849, Whickham, died 1854

On the birth certificates of his first four children he is listed as Ad Lunn, and after that as Andrew Lunn? I contacted the registrar about this and she stated she had never known a name to be shortened on certificates, especially as Adam or Andrew are not long Christian names anyway?

Also on the marriage banns he is named as Ad Lunn, and underneath written by the same Vicar is another couple getting married who first name was Adam, clearly written?

Have searches every possible record I can think of for births or baptisms for Ad with nor result so far. Also looked for marriages (as record says he was a widower) but no success either. Also cant find any possible children born from 1833 - 1838 when first daughter Ann was baptised.

Mary Ann Stabler his wife was born in 1810 at Mickleton, and baptised on 17th June 1810 at Romaldkirk, daughter of a John and Mary Ann Stabler.

Any help greatly appreciated! :D

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ad Lun/Lum
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 11:23 BST (UK) »
this is possibly nothing to help solve your puzzle - maybe just coincidence -but found it so thought i would post it

I found Joseph Ad Lunn b. c. 1868 Rothwell Yorks
mother Sarah
on one census he is Joseph A Lunn on another Joseph AD Lunn and on another Joseph Anderson Lunn

1861 "your Ad Lunn" is living next door to Edward Anderson age 38 occ Joiner and family

maybe some connection???
maybe just coincidence???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 16 07:46 BST (UK) »
Could Ad stand for Adamson and be a mother/grandmother maiden name and used a Christian name.

The Joseph A Lunn in previous post was registered as Joseph Adamson Lunn, October quarter 1867
Kirkstall Yorkshire.
His father Joseph "Lund" married Sarah Adamson 1866 in Yorkshire

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 April 16 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Many thanks for replying! Really difficult one to sought out. My grandmother who was descended from Ad Lun was told he came from Norway, but whether or not that was just an old family tale I will never know?!
When I contacted the Registrar of BMD she told me there was no reason why the person would not have wrote his name on the birth certificates of his children if he had been called Adam or Andrew as both are quite short names and were done on other certificates. Also he seems to be Ad or Adam from time of marriage in 1833 until 1847, when he is listed as Andrew on the birth certificate of his son William.
Really confusing as you can see but will keep looking and many thanks for your assistance. :)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 April 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
May I suggest you put your query on the Durham Board of rootschat, not everyone scrolls to the bottom of the page where unassigned posts are listed.