Author Topic: Bourne T.I.C. (or T.I.O.) 1934  (Read 2473 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bourne T.I.C. (or T.I.O.) 1934
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 April 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
Looking at the old maps from 1930-1986, some of the trees from the site are still there. They are those along Woodland Avenue and down the centre of the open space bounded by Beech Avenue and Forest Avenue.

David

Offline SharonAnne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census & BMD Information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 April 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi...... Does the actual photo on the other side hold any clues ?.......bit of a long shot, but someone might recognise something.
I should have said, it's just of a group of men in work clothes, holding muddy shovels and standing in a field next to a dry stone wall. Other than the end of a shed of some kind, there are no other features. I've attached it though, in case anyone comes to this thread looking for info and recognises anyone on the photo.

The 1931 map shows a large ministry of labour training centre just outside Bourne, labelled as Bourne Camp.

Mike

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101591276
Thank you. I didn't think to look at old maps, that's very useful.

It looks like T.I.C. stood for Training Instructional Centre......there were several of them up and down the country in the 1930's, including the one at Bourne, they were initially for the unemployed, to train them, with a view to getting back into work......hope this helps.......Del.
The T.I.C. at Bourne was a residential centre, there were also summer camps at Kirkby Underwood, Pickworth Wood and other places in the vicinity.
That explains a lot. He came from Bolton, so I wondered how he ended up in Lincolnshire. I know he was unemployed in 1933 so a kind of adult YTS of the 30s would make sense. The training worked for him, he worked with heavy horses on farms and then in deliveries until the early 50s.

Looking at the old maps from 1930-1986, some of the trees from the site are still there. They are those along Woodland Avenue and down the centre of the open space bounded by Beech Avenue and Forest Avenue.

David
Thank you.
Williams, Marshall, Garrard, Hughes, Roberts, Evans
McAndrew, Higginson, Settle, Watts, Martin, Dunn

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
The 1933 Kelly Lincs diectory has this at Bourne -
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline El.g1009

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 February 20 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just saw this post. I have two photos very similar of my great Granda at the same place 4 years later. Also with the same writing on the back and one of the photos is of a bunch of men with shovels.

Hoping to find out more about this occupational training camp place.