Author Topic: Uniform help again please James Robertson Gibson born Jedburgh 1895.  (Read 6034 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform help again please James Robertson Gibson born Jedburgh 1895.
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 23 April 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
My earlier post asking about Middlemass was referring to the Southern Reporter newspaper report on 28 June 1917 of the death of Lance Sergeant William Middlemass (that spelling) son of the late Thomas Middlemass, horse breaker Jedburgh.  His sister, Mrs King, received a letter from his unit.  He had been 12 years in Canada.  His attestation paper, which is catalogued as Middlemiss and on which he spells his name Middlemis (!!!) is at http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=191752

The unit on the document is the 102nd Battalion CEF.  Can't (yet) find his "circumstances of death" in the archives, the alphabetical filing is a bit hit and miss!  His service number is that of the CWGC entry.

This would be the man on the war memorial despite the variety of spellings!  He is not the man in the photo, the 102nd Bn wore a variation of the maple leaf.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 23 April 16 10:57 BST (UK) »
Wow MaxD

Thank you for all the work your doing. There were two Middlemist families in Jedburgh, One line was the horse breaker and the others were tailors - that's my line, so I am really pleased that it is not the man in the photo.

I have yet to find a link (if there is one) between the two families, as they all used the same names for their children. I think I might end up having to trace Williams line back and see where it takes me.

Regards
Moo

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 23 April 16 17:10 BST (UK) »
Just closing the loop on the JR Gibson you found on Forces War Records.  He has been found on 35 CFA roll, he is John Robert Gibson, born Canada. His number is incorrect on FWR - not that it matters!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 23 April 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD - another one for the recycling bin.

Regards
Moo

Offline Stuart Urquhart

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 20 August 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
Grasping at straws here but I'm looking to find out what happened to a Tom White 127 Company CFC based at Birkenside Camp Jedburgh between 1917 and 1918. Pte Whites Service No was 1037681. Have found his attestation papers when he signed up in 1916 in Vancouver but little more. I believe there to be a connection to a Lizzie McLaughlin from Hawick a few miles d*own the road. Posted this just in case anyone came across this name in their research. Thanks for reading post,

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 20 August 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
Grasping at straws here but I'm looking to find out what happened to a Tom White 127 Company CFC based at Birkenside Camp Jedburgh between 1917 and 1918. Pte Whites Service No was 1037681. Have found his attestation papers when he signed up in 1916 in Vancouver but little more. I believe there to be a connection to a Lizzie McLaughlin from Hawick a few miles d*own the road. Posted this just in case anyone came across this name in their research. Thanks for reading post,
              May I suggest that you start a new thread,  because  tagging this query on to a long running thread  then your query   is likely to get lost in "the fog of War"  to coin a phrase,          ;D
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich