Author Topic: Mary Jose m.1717  (Read 491 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Jose m.1717
« on: Thursday 21 April 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
I'm trying to find out who an ancestor of mine is, where she came from etc. Her - quite unusual - name is Mary Jose when she marries George Craddock (from Overstone) in Great Harrowden in 1717.

In her wedding record it is said she is from Harrold, Beds, but I went through the whole Bedfordshire records CD for Harrold and she definitely wasn't born there. It also struck me as odd that someone from Harrold would go to Great Harrowden to marry a man from Overstone. So I'm thinking that she may simply have been from Great Harrowden and somebody misheard?

She is a bit of a mystery in my tree, because we don't seem to be able to find her. There may be a logical reason for not finding her if we consider the option that her name wasn't Jose at all, but something similarly-sounding but not exactly that. So I'm open for options!

If anyone has any useful insight on Mary Jose it would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Lexi.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jose m.1717
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Why would a young woman go from Harrold to Gt Harrowden ... maybe to work at Harrowden Hall ... in service. I think Northampton Record Office holds some papers from there - worth asking.

There was a Thomas Jose buried 1722 Mar 27 Wellingborough CofE, walking distance from Harrowden (I walk it often  :) )

There was a John Jose s/o Edward & Hannah bpt 1741 Jun 17 Daventry CofE. (Can't find this marriage in the Index to see how it was written, though)

These are the only instances of the name I can find in the Northants Indexes, apart from the marriage you mention.

I think it's the way we/they speak down here and it's likely to be Joice, Joyce, Joyes, Joyse, with a very longshot being Joseph.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jose m.1717
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
Why would a young woman go from Harrold to Gt Harrowden ... maybe to work at Harrowden Hall ... in service. I think Northampton Record Office holds some papers from there - worth asking.

There was a Thomas Jose buried 1722 Mar 27 Wellingborough CofE, walking distance from Harrowden (I walk it often  :) )

There was a John Jose s/o Edward & Hannah bpt 1741 Jun 17 Daventry CofE. (Can't find this marriage in the Index to see how it was written, though)

These are the only instances of the name I can find in the Northants Indexes, apart from the marriage you mention.

I think it's the way we/they speak down here and it's likely to be Joice, Joyce, Joyes, Joyse, with a very longshot being Joseph.

You are right, work can bring people anywhere. Still, I would find Harrowden a more logical place for her to have come from than Harrold, but we'll keep our options open. It may again also have been a case of the way they spoke down there.

Thanks for the Thomas, John and Edward Jose - no idea how they may be related, but there is always that option! Will investigate  :)