Author Topic: Searching for a photo of Sydney Vaughan Barber  (Read 976 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for a photo of Sydney Vaughan Barber
« on: Friday 22 April 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for a photo or portrait of Sydney Vaughan BARBER who used the alias Stanley BRINTON when he arrived in Australia from the UK around 1900.

This is for research of a photo of a couple from around 1905 that has the name Stanley Brinton written on the back, I'm fairly certain that I have the identity correct, but I'd like to confirm it with a comparison.

Sydney Vaughan Barber (solicitor), born 1866 Handsworth, Staffordshire, England

Married Kate Madeleine GREEN 1893 St George's Church, Edgebaston (divorced 1907)

Married twice in Australia (Evelyn I Hammond - 1910) and (Ella Goodman - 1935)

Died 1950, Sydney, Australia

His brother was William Henry Barber, married to Martha Constance Hattie Onions, benefactors of the Barber Institute of Fine Arts in Birmingham.

I have contacted The Barber Institute of Fine Arts, who provided a photo of William Henry (not a close enough resemblance), but did not have any of Sydney Vaughan.

Can anyone find a photo of Sydney Vaughan Barber or have some ideas of where to look?

Thanks in advance - Matthew  :)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a photo of Sydney Vaughan Barber
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 16 04:21 BST (UK) »
As a solicitor he may have made the social pages in Australia...http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/
Have you checked surname interest board?
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a photo of Sydney Vaughan Barber
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 16 06:15 BST (UK) »
As a solicitor he may have made the social pages in Australia...http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/
Have you checked surname interest board?

:) Hi - thank you for replying. I think I've found all I can about him on Trove (and nothing on the surname board), there was a mention of him holidaying at a rural town for a week, but no photos. He worked as a manager/paymaster once he came to Australia. I'm hoping that maybe some wedding photos may be around, either his or his brother's which were both in 1893. His brother and sister-in-law were not camera shy  ;D

Sir Henry and Lady Barber in fancy-dress costume, circa 1910

via http://www.weekendnotes.co.uk/portrait-of-a-lady-the-life-and-passions-of-lady-barber-exhibition/