Author Topic: Trouble with Tolleys  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Trouble with Tolleys
« on: Friday 22 April 16 16:55 BST (UK) »
I don't know if anyone can help, I am struggling with my Tolleys again. I have James Tolley born in 1841 to John Tolley and Elizabeth ? as my husband's great grandfather. James married Maria Hart in Leicester in 1863.
I believe James died in 1872 in Leicester but can't find any burial record for him.

John and Elizabeth both claim to have been born in Yorkshire in 1841 by which point they were living in Bowling green Street, Warwick St Mary with their children, three of whom were not born in Warwick. I can't find any of the children in the BMD section of Ancestry Thomas was born around 1821. Salley was born around 1826 and Ellen was born around 1828 in Yorkshire. Elizabeth was born around 1838 in Warwick St Mary and James followed in 1841.
John was born in 1791 and the nearest I can find is a christening in Doncaster on 24th April 1791. I can't find a marriage for him and Elizabeth ? though I presume it was around 1820
I also can't find the deaths of John or Elizabeth.

Can anyone shed any light on my troublesome Tolleys please? Would be very grateful for any help you can give. Thanks in advance.   :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Tolleys
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 16 17:27 BST (UK) »
You won't find the eldest three children in the birth index because they were born before civil registration started in 1837. The youngest two were both registered in Warwick registration district - Elizabeth Oct-Dec 1838 and James Jul-Sep 1841. If you order the birth certificate for either of these, it will give you their mother's maiden name, which may help you find John and Elizabeth's marriage.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 16 17:41 BST (UK) »

There is a marriage on  Family Search 1819 :

Name   John Tolley
Spouse's Name   Elizabeth Conlay
Event Date   28 Dec 1819
Event Place   Saint Martin,Birmingham,Warwick,England

may be a possible given registration district of two of the children.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
Have you found John and Elizabeth after 1841? There is a death of John Tolley in Leicester in the 2nd quarter of 1862. Maybe the whole family moved to Leicestershire, which is why son James married and died there...
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 April 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
There is one at Welford road for 1872

N   2394   C
TOLLEY   JAMES   1872   MAR   24   Age 30   LOWER VINE STREET   ALL SAINTS

James Tolley Q1 Leicester 7A/162
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 April 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
John that clairecc666 mentioned, Welford road

TOLLEY   JOHN    1862   JUN   8   71   THE PINGLE   ALL SAINTS

Buried with John

GAMBLE   ELIZABETH   1868   MAR   13   2   THE PINGLE   ALL SAINTS
TOLLEY   MARY JANE   1871   MAR   14   15MTHS   LOWER VINE STREET   ALL SAINTS
GAMBLE   GEORGE ALBERT   1874   NOV   28   4MTHS   PINGLE STREET   SAINT MARGARET
TOLLEY   ELIZABETH   1878   MAR   2   77   PINGLE STREET   ALL SAINTS
MANTON   ELIZABETH   1940   DEC   16   77   17 GLENDOWER CLOSE   LEICESTER

25-Dec All Saints 1861   
GAMBLE   George   
TOLLEY    Elizabeth

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKVT-Y59D

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7YW-1BC

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 April 16 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies and the information everyone. I will buy a birth certificate for James to find his mother's maiden name as you suggest Clairec666 but the marriage in Birmingham that 3sillydogs has found looks quite interesting as I know that James' son, George henry Tolly, left his wife Lois and their 3 or 4 children (Struggling with a daughter named Nellie who does not appear on the census in 1901 but is on the census for 1911 and Lois has changed the number of children from the 3 that we know about to 4. No one has heard of Nellie so she seems to have been something of an enigma.) and moved to Birmingham.

Thanks for the burial records for Welford Road Willsy, they do seem to fit in with my Tolleys so will do a bit more investigating on them.

Thanks again for the help.  :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 April 16 01:23 BST (UK) »
1841 census shows their children as Thomas bc.1821, Salley bc.1825, Ellen bc.1828, Elizabeth bc.1838 plus James followed in 1841.

From what I can see it looks like John and Elizabeth were in Worcestershire before going to Warwickshire.  In Warwickshire their church was St. Mary, Warwick and from parish records and also census family seems to be:

Thomas bc.1821 - don't know where
Sarah (Sally pet name of Sarah) b.11/3/1826, bp.26/3/1826 Wesleyan, Kidderminster
Ellen bp.21/2/1828 Kidderminster
Jane bp.15/5/1830 Kidderminster - bur.8/5/1837 St. Mary, Warwick aged 7
Mary Ann bp.24/1/1833 Kidderminster - bur.18/5/1837 St. Mary, Warwick aged 4
John bp.5/1/1836 St. Mary, Warwick - died??
George bp.7/5/1837 St. Mary, Warwick - also died 1837 (death index)
Elizabeth bp.13/10/1838 St. Mary, Warwick
James bp.21/8/1841 St. Mary, Warwick

The only anomaly is that I can't find an appropriate Thomas bc.1821 - plus a census refers to a Joseph bc.1832 and can't see anything on him either.

I really do think you need the birth certificate for James Tolley - as you've indicated you will - to confirm his mothers maiden name.   There were in fact at least 3 couples named John and Elizabeth baptising children in Warwickshire - one is your couple (John being a Wool Carder/variants), one other John is a Blacksmith, my point being that the John Tolley/Elizabeth Conelay marriage could relate to one of the other couples since it took place in Birmingham itself where the other 2 couples baptised their children. 

It was finding 2 burials at St. Mary, Warwick for Jane bc.1830 and Mary Ann bc.1833 who weren't baptised there that set me looking for them and in the process found their baptisms at Kidderminster together with those of Salley (Sarah) and Ellen but nothing for Thomas.

From the census Elizabeth is said to have been born ca.1800 at Emley, Yorkshire (one census has Hemley).   Bearing in mind that 4 children baptised in Kidderminster, Worcestershire 1826-1833 I found the following marriage:

John Tolley married Elizabeth Milnthorpe 15/11/1824 Ribbesford, Worcestershire

Familysearch shows an Elizabeth Milthorpe bp.14/2/1800 Emley, Yorkshire, dau. of Thomas and Sarah (the names of her first 2 children).

Just on the off chance as Thomas would appear to have been born before the 1824 marriage I looked for a baptism for him under Milnthorpe and familysearch shows:

Thomas Milnthorp or Radley b.24/8/1821, bp.4/11/1821 Emley, Yorkshire, son of Elizabeth Milnthorp.   However, his original baptism entry is shown on ancestry and although the record is somewhat faint there appears to be no sign of the name Radley at all so don't know where familysearch got that from!

Naturally, after all this I am hoping that the birth certificate for James will reveal his mothers maiden name to be Milnthorpe.   

I must admit that when I saw the 1841 census with a 10 year gap between Ellen and Elizabeth I wondered whether 'Elizabeth' was possibly a 2nd wife.   However, upon discovering that at least 4 children had been born/died between 1830 and 1837 I scrubbed that thought and with the discovery of the marriage in 1824 in Worcestershire followed Elizabeth Milnthorpe who was indeed born 1800 Emley, Yorks. and who also had an illeg. son Thomas there in 1821 it all fitted together nicely.  Hopefully, the birth certificate will confirm this.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 16 01:45 BST (UK) »
No idea where poor Nellie was in 1901 but there certainly appears to be a birth entry for her:

Nellie Tolley   June quarter 1895 Leicester.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk