Author Topic: Trouble with Tolleys  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Tolleys
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 April 16 11:10 BST (UK) »
I am now impatiently awaiting birth certificates.  :D 
I ordered James' birth certificate from the GRO as it was cheaper and about as quick as having to make 2 journeys to Warwick so hoping that will be here next week and Nellie's, from Leicester, should be here around the same time.
I'm wondering now about Thomas (Radley) Millthorpe/Millinthorpe/Milnthorpe as he names his father so maybe he knew who his father was and gives their surnames as being the same so the question is did he give his grandfather's name in place of his father's or was his father a Radley? I doubt there is an answer to that question as it certainly doesn't appear on the original christening certificate details.
I will update this thread when I get the birth certificates, thanks again for all the help.  :)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
I have Nellie's certificate!

She is registered as the daughter of Lois Mary Tolley and...George Henry Tolley. Born in 13th May 1895 at 113 Denman Stredet.

So, do we think that this rules out Nellie Tolley Golby or could it be that George had been away fighting or working and refused to accept that Nellie was his daughter and somehow it was decided that William Golby was Nellie's father so she was sent to live with him?
I suppose it is all conjecture unless we can find more information. It could be part of the explanation of why Lois never forgave her husband when he left although if it bothered him so much I can't help wondering why he stayed long enough for Lois to have another daughter in 1903.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
I have never actually viewed the school records but wonder if that woud help since it had Golby in brackets ???
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
It may help. Where are the school records accessed?
It certainly sounds like Nellie GOLBY, Nelley TOLLEY GOLBY and Nellie TOLLEY may well be the same person.

Further research has shown Nellie GOLBY to be living with her parents in 1901 and 1911 at 113, DENMAN STREET, Leicester which is exactly the address that Nellie TOLLEY was born at. This sounds too good to be a coincidence but, of course, it just could be and I could be just clutching at straws.

I've tracked her down on a family tree and her date of birth is listed as the same so I've contacted the tree owner to ask if she has any further information as they seem to know the exact birth date.
I'm totally  ??? at the moment as MIL definitely doesn't know anything about Nellie, she wasn't even aware of her existence.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
The records are on microfiche at the Leicester Records Office
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 May 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
Yes! You guys are totally amazing.

James Tolley's birth certificate arrived this morning. He was born on 3rd August 1841 in Warwick St Mary to John Tolley and Elizabeth MILNTHORPE. So I now have the Tolley family back to  Doncaster in the 1790s with John Tolley and Elizabeth Milnthorpe.
I have some information about Elizabeth's parentage and I have James Tolley and Jane Major listed as John's parents so the next step is to try and trace them back to their parents.

I still have to trace George Henry in 1891, 1901 and 1911 but I do now know that on 26th April 1915 he was summoned by his wife for assault due to drunkenness. It had apparently become usual for George Henry to be drunk at the weekends and after promising to give up the drink he was placed under the care of a Mr Goodman for a period of 12 months and ordered to pay the costs so it would appear that he was still in Leicester in 1915-1916.
I've tried all variants of his name on my An'try account but there is nothing coming up for him so I need to try to search the census returns for the City to try and track him down. I don't know if there is anywhere i can do that now though as An'try have changed the way they display their records making it impossible for me to hop through areas of the city like I used to be able to.

Thank you all so much for the help with this.  :)