Author Topic: Somerset Marriage Licences  (Read 1329 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Somerset Marriage Licences
« on: Friday 22 April 16 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Helping a friend with their family research & have found a couple of marriages by license and a possible 3rd & I was wondering where one could find/view/access Somerset Marriage Licences?

Rufus Barrow married Betty Jeffries by Licence, 26th Oct 1777 at Templecombe St Mary, Somerset

Rufus son Anthony married twice:

1, Anthony Abarrow married Joanna Smart by Licence, 25th Dec 1815 at Horsington, St John, Somerset. (Joanna sadly died in 1819.)

2, Anthony married Patience Maidment, 19th Oct 1820 at West Bradley, St Andrew, Somerset.

The family have been difficult to pin down to say the least with various records having their surname variously as: Abarrow, A'barrow, A Barrow, Barrow & even Barro!

As regard's Anthony's second marriage to Patience, FreeReg doesn't show whether they married by Banns or Licence & on the Somerset OPC website, the marriages for West Bradley only go up to 1812! Would someone be able to tell me whether they married by Banns or Licence please?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Somerset Marriage Licences
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
What remains of the licences issued at Wells are held at the Somerset Heritage Centre (nee Record Office) but not available online. They are not kept in any strict order, but can be manually searched. Not all the licences found in indexes seem to have survived

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 16 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your reply & the info re Somerset Licences. Very much appreciated indeed.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 April 16 23:39 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping to go over to Somerset Record office on either Tuesday or Wednesday, I be quite happy to take  a look for you..

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 April 16 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

That is an incredibly kind offer & very much appreciated indeed. I look forward with interest to whatever you find.

My thanks to you once again.

Kind regards

David

Offline Jo.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 16 01:20 BST (UK) »
that's fine

I'm a regular visitor to Somerset Record office,  as live reasonably local, and Somerset is where most of my research is....

I shall see what I find, and let you know and if I can get copies of the marriages mentioned then I will. 

Offline Splottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 March 24 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Patience Maidment had a sister who married a brother of Anthony's. While working on this side of my Maidment tree I too realised the A'Barrow family was difficult to pin down. I found 10 different variations of the surname. Because of this, and the repeated use of the same Christian names by different family members I saw this family as a challenge and done extensive research on it. Did you research any of Anthony's siblings? Patient's sister married Henry A'Barrow. If you have any other difficulties with this family or questions, I will be happy to help if I can.
Kind regards,
Alan Maidment

Offline Splottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 March 24 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Just checked the source of her marriage on my tree. The marriage was by licence.
Cheers,
Alan