Author Topic: thomas laurie  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: thomas laurie
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 April 16 13:57 BST (UK) »
Usually a married woman is know by her maiden surname on the tombstone, not 100% of the time but in that era and in a country parish such as this, my guess would be that her name would have been Mary Forrest on the stone.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline margmo1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 April 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
I have been back on SP & I couldn't find a death certificate for mary laurie in 1799, but Thomas died in 1799. I did find the death of one mary laurie on 1/1/1773 at castairs (others were all Glasgow). unfortunalely this certificate yielded no other info.
should I be looking for a death certificate in the name of mary forrest rather than mary laurie.
thanks again
margaret

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 April 16 14:50 BST (UK) »
Here in Scotland statutory registration did not come into place until 1st January 1855. Before that date there was no such thing as a "death certificate" (or a birth or marriage certificate). What you are looking at are extracts from the old parochial registers. They vary a great deal from parish to parish. Many have been lost or destroyed over the years. Others are illegible or the entry so basic that it is useless.
for example, how can you prove that Thomas Laurie who died in 1799 is the one you are looking for? He may have had several cousins with the same name or, it may be another Thomas Lawrie (Lourie etc) entirely.
Wandall & Lamington is a parish near Covington, here's an example of an 1833 burial register entry.

"December 10th 1833. Died this morning aged 66. Mary Carmichael a pauper in the village, widow of James Murdoch weaver in Lamington. She was a martyr to rheumatism upwards of 20 years & was much deformed in consequence of her troubles.
Buried in Lamington on Thursday 12th".

If only Covington & Thankerton had had such a session clerk.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline margmo1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 April 16 15:32 BST (UK) »
many thanks for the explanation. I think I will have to give up on looking for Thomas.
regards
margaret

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 April 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for finding Mary Laurie. Thomas Laurie married a Mary Forrest so it looks like this could be the burial place of his wife.

Don't forget that it was not usual for a married woman to take her husband's surname in the 18th century, and that most married women's maiden surnames are included in gravestone inscriptions.

Edit: Sorry, I see that Lodger has already made the same point, and much more eloquently than I did.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.