Author Topic: Elizabeth Crawford's maiden name? Ballymena .Confused - Help please  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Crawford's maiden name? Ballymena .Confused - Help please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 September 22 00:22 BST (UK) »
Dear colleenMc and JoanP,
I don't know if you're still around.
Especially  JoanP ( who just made the one post)

Do either of you know when your family or Wilnor celebrated his birthday ( ie month or day) ? I assume he had a celebrated birthday, or a very close date to his real birth, if they didn't know the exact date he was born.

I have  finally found what I believe is very  likely to be Wilnor's birth!   
It has taken me these many years to find it, I  have never given up . I  also had to wait, and wait for this birth , privacy laws  , coupled with  other things and a story that I was told many years ago by my mother that one of the sisters ( her aunts) gave away a boy child . ( I didn't know which  one of my grandmother's
eldest sisters that it was. I  also never mentioned this as I didn't want to muddy the  factual waters by passed down oral history about this birth of one of the sisters.)

The  birth date of my great Aunt's illegitimate  child exactly fits both Wilnor's reported death age on the  army rolls and his reported death announcement in the local papers, both have two different death ages for Wilnor 21 and 22 years old ,which of course can be confusing!- But it  totally makes sense now - if what I am holding is Wilnor's birth cert , which  my gut and  many  combined factors is saying it is him.
The month and day that my great Aunt's son  was born ,he would have been still  21 years of age on that 14th June 1944 ,  and  he would have  just turned 22 when it was reported in local press back home just a few weeks later . The  two reported ages are  correct at  the time of recording it if Wilnor is indeed my great Aunt's birth son.

It's  trying to 100%  prove that the illegitimate birth of the baby boy that my gran's sister gave birth  to  and gave up  is Wilnor, which is the difficult thing , as  it being long before formal adoption law years. 
Everything is pointing  that way.

The baby boy's Christian name wasn't Wilnor on birth of course , my great grandmother ( the grandmother of the child)  reported the child's birth, and  going by his full birth names on the cert, I suspect had a great hand in naming  the birth name.  The  child is not a  known child we have in the family today  - this  child disappears from the radar.  No father  listed on the birth of course, as to be expected.

My gran's sister did not marry for years after the birth of her illegitimate son , (she married in later life, and was a spinster ) and had no children with her husband ( an English soldier who was stationed  in Ireland)She moved away from Ireland to England  after her marriage to her husband .
 Her birth son isn't mentioned in her will , so either her son did not  outlive his mother, or this is the sister that gave up her child, or both.( checked deaths too and he did not die as a baby or a child under his birth name )

Very Kind regards

Ps.would you know if  Wilnor was around 7 years old when your family adopted him ?  I have this figure of 7 in my memories ( and I  really don't know if that is 7 years or  7 months old ) - the sisters have two illegitimate  births who weren't  raised by them(  two  of the sisters of my gran and my great uncle Tom ) - sometimes the oral stories from my mother and grandmother  collide into each other in my memories . But  I believe one of these two children was 7 when their birth mother left them,  but don't know which one of the two children this was( the other child grew up with the the birth
mother's  family , with the child's  grandmother and my own grandmother) . That child was a female , which I know what happened to her. She is ( was) one of my godparents ( she died when I was toddler)

I am just wondering if  your Wilnor was around 7 years old when your family adopted him ( it would also make sense why my great uncle Tommy in the article ,knew him to be his nephew ).
PPs sorry for this long message, I keep on adding more to it.

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Crawford's maiden name? Ballymena .Confused - Help please
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 September 22 02:58 BST (UK) »
H
My grandpaernts had a photo of Wilnor in his uniform but sadly those photos were all lost in a house fire about 10 years ago.

Regards
Colleen   :)
Hi Colleen,
All is not lost  :)
 There is a photo of  Wilnor in the  Ballymena papers  at The British newspapers archive  website. It may  be  just like the one your grandparents had and lost in the fire (?).

Search on " John Crawford 59 Moat street" it will bring the article up , Friday 07 July 1944 Ballymena Weekly Telegraph .
Newspaper archives are forever adding more  to their databases. This article wasn't on the British newspaper archive site a few years ago when this whole thread was written, and still not on the Irish Newspaper Archives site that I can find .

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=john%20crawford%2059%20moat%20road&retrievecountrycounts=false

This is the snipping of  the same article from the paper on this website below , so no need to pay to download the article with the picture .

https://snake43.webs.com/ww2-panel-2

Very kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u