Author Topic: Training in the early 1800s  (Read 747 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Training in the early 1800s
« on: Thursday 28 April 16 09:43 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at a young man who enlisted in the 32nd Foot in April 1807 at Tewkesbury, is with them at Waterloo and still on the muster roll in Dec 1815.  The history of the 32nd is beautifully covered in a book by his company commander.  By August 1807, 4 months after he joined, the regiment was already fighting in Portugal.  This set me to wondering where such a chap might have received his kitting out and basic training and how long this might have taken.  I am not really after the man's specific history, just an idea of what the first months (weeks?) would have entailed for a 15 year old recruit.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Training in the early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Does the book mention Copenhagen? Information I have is that the 1st Battalion of the 32nd were in Denmark in 1807 and did not arrive in Portugal until 1808.

Regarding training if he was an under aged Private I suggest you watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe%27s_Regiment_(TV_programme)

The initial aim was to teach them to fire three rounds a minute so they could serve in a line or battalion company. The remaining 'flank' companies (Light and Grenadier) were for experienced men. The basic aim was to make recruits more frightened of his NCOs (and a flogging) than the enemy.

In Hansard for this period it states that a man who had already received at least 24 days training would be exempt from service with the Militia. So a month of full time training was considered sufficient.

Ken

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken, I was hoping you'd happen along!
Absolutely right, the battle summary at the front of the book has the dates of the Portuguese battles incorrect although the text is ok, inevitably I quoted from the summary!!  If you have the time:

https://archive.org/details/withthirtysecon00wardgoog  Harry (Henry) Ross-Lewin was the company commander in question.

Just a supplementary, where would the training have taken place given that the regiment was pretty much on the move during the April-July time frame?

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 16 07:51 BST (UK) »
The march there would give them plenty of marching practice. Muskets were only dangerous over about 80-100 yards so any field would do for musketry. Most parishes would have somewhere for their own Militia to train. Otherwise they could do it overseas.

Ken

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 April 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk