Author Topic: Lookup Request for John Ford  (Read 1591 times)

Offline CaptainChaos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lookup Request for John Ford
« on: Wednesday 20 July 05 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to research the origins of John Ford.  He married Ann Marnie on 25 Jun 1848 in Montrose and they had eight children :o (John, David, Elizabeth, Joan, William, Ann, Jessie and Henry).  He is supposed to have died at sea in 1865 (which I'm currently looking into) however I need help as I can't find his exact birth date. 

Assuming that he married in his early to mid twenties, he would have been born c1825 in the Montrose area, however there are several candidates:

1823, Inverkeilor, Angus
1827, Kinnell, Angus
1825, St Cyrus, Angus

From a purely geographic standpoint, the last seems the most likely (as it's the closest to Montrose) however can anyone help shed any light on this please?

Thanks

Rob

Offline snowwhite77

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request for John Ford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 05 20:37 BST (UK) »
Have you tried checking scotlsnds people for his marriage cert? This will give you his age at time of marriage.

Amanda
PATERSON- Fife,
CHALMERS- Stirlignshire
DRYSDALE - Kinross, Clackmannan
GORMAN, MOORE -Birkenhead
BELL DIAMOND Dunbartonshire
PRENTICE, HAMILTON CUNNINGHAM - Lanarkshire
FYFE - Perthshire
FAGAN - Lanarkshire
CROSBIE, SCOTT, STEVENSON, MORRISON, CHRISTIAN,- Wigtown

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 05 20:49 BST (UK) »
I checked the birth cert for Henry, since he was the youngest ...

Date of Birth - January 24th 1866 born in Rothsey to John Ford Merchant Seaman (master) deceased and Ann Ford nee Marnie... the birth was registered by David Ford (brother).

date of marriage of John and Ann was 28 June 1848 in Montrose. (312/00 0011 is the reference number for the parish record extract)

It may be worth your while getting in touch with the local library who may have one of the earlier Censuses to hand, (I only have access to the 1871 - 1901) and seeing what they have listed for John and Ann.  Ann was only 46 in 1871 living with her mother and children and a couple of nieces in Montrose.

Vicky Fraser
Montrose Library
214 High Street
Montrose
DD10 8PH

01674 673256
montrose.library@angus.gov.uk

The montrose Library has the full Old Parish Records and also some early newspapers on file, it is possible that John Fords death would have been reported on especially if he was local to the area.

( hubby's great grandfather died at sea and there was a piece in the local paper when he died.)

Montrose Standard 1853 - 1970

Montrose, Arbroath & Brechin Review 17 Apr. 1818 -18 October. 1839, 1844 -1875, 1884 -1919 (1848 missing)

the library also has:-

Monumental Inscriptions (M.I.’s)

Pre 1855 Gravestones in Angus - ed. A. Mitchell

St. Cyrus Kirkyard (Nether & Upper Kirkyards) at 80.929.5

Deaths at sea are available from the Family Records Centre in London,

hope this helps

Best Wishes

Mo

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline isobelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 05 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

If you check out the 1855 birth for Elizabeth Helen Fielding Ford on Scotlandspeople it should give you the age and place of birth of both of her parents. This was the only year that this information was included on the birth certs.
Isobel

Offline CaptainChaos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 05 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

fantastic, thanks for your help I'll give the various sources a try!

Rob

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 05 18:57 BST (UK) »
Rob

The 1855 birth register entry does indeed show John's place of birth, and not one you had on your list, but it's not far away !

Check in IGI and you will find only one match to the place and year of birth, which then gives you the probable parents of John.

You then need to have a look at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see if his parents survived to 1855 or later, - a Scottish death register entry gives the names of the parents, - and one did...............

There's also another death in the same parish which refers to the deceased's husband as "Widower of David FORD Shipmaster" .... so looks like the sea was in the family's blood.........

Good hunting  ;D

ibi