Author Topic: A marriage between William RUSSELL/Kathleen O'GORMON c.1900, possibly Dublin  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
This is another of my needle in a haystack hunts, I'm afraid…
The sparse details I have so far are that a William RUSSELL married a Kathleen O"GORMAN, an Irishwoman from County Dublin in about 1900 (maybe some years before this, perhaps slightly afterwards!).  They had at least one son, Albert J. RUSSELL, perhaps born in 1901.
This marriage could well have taken place in Ireland - I cannot find one in the freeBMD's for the U.K - and it is entirely possible that William RUSSELL was Irish too.
And there seem to be too many young Albert RUSSELL's in the 1911 English Census to pin any particular family down, to take things backwards from there...
I perhaps ought to be hunting solely in Irish genealogy for both families.  The only certain fixed fact is that Albert J RUSSELL married a Mary Ada WOOD in Kensington, London in 1925…
Many thanks in advance with any help, however small…
Keith

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A marriage between William RUSSELL/Kathleen O'GORMON c.1900, possibly Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 16 10:21 BST (UK) »
Have you searched for the marriage in Dublin yet?

Family Search have the civil registration index (bride and groom not cross-referenced)-
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347

Ancestry also has the index but will show who else is on same page but as it's a subscription site its terms and conditions do not allow requests for lookups on RC.

Irish Genealogy is another place to look-
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A marriage between William RUSSELL/Kathleen O'GORMON c.1900, possibly Dublin
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey,
Thanks so much for providing those useful links…
Keith
N.B. I'm probably not being very bright about this, but when I entered Kathleen O'GORMON's name in the Search on Ancestry, it did indeed come up with the Irish Catholic Registers.  So, they are for 1655-1915, and the page on which I found her name cryptically gives her the number 116, in a column headed with the Latin numeral (number?) VII.  How does one discover what date this is meant to represent?  This particular page is from Harrington St, Dublin, which I presume is the address of a chapel or a some kind of registry office.
Now someone relieve me of my ignorance, please!
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Still really struggling to get a handle on this, trying variants such as GORMAN and O'GORMAN, and even trying Catherine instead of Kathleen, in case she was remembered in the family as "Kath" or "Kate"...
And there is a June 1906 marriage in Kensington between a Catherine GORMAN and a William RUSSELL; Kensington is where their son Albert J RUSSELL was married in 1925, so maybe the location for the family is about right.
Then in the 1911 Census there is an individual living with the BURROWS family at 42, Mathley (?) St, Kennington who goes by the name of Kathleen L RUSSELL, boarder, 26, single, an "actress", born Dublin, Ireland.
There is another "actress", and a comedian, and an actress/contortionist living there, so it was quite a fun-filled household.  Though we all perhaps know what a euphemism "actress" could mean in those days.
No sign of a husband William or indeed a son Albert J, so I'm probably whistling in the wind here...
Keith
...but now I've just googled the name Kathleen RUSSELL and see that a lady by that name did indeed appear in three short films, one in 1913, and two in 1914, so I've done her a disservice!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What was the middle name of the Albert J Russell who married Mary Ada Wood in Kensington in 1925?

Are you sure he was the son of William and Kathleen?

I see that there was an Albert J Russell who in 1901 was aged 6 weeks born Kensington - grandson of a James Russell at 19 St Anne's Villas, Kensington.  Likely birth as Albert James Russell, Mar qtr 1901 Kensington. Parents seem to have been Henry Russell and Hetty (also Russell at marriage in 1897).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi again, AVM228!
I'm purely going on hearsay within the family.  Very little seems to be known prior to Albert J RUSSELL and his 1925 marriage.  I was told that his father was called William, but then nothing more is known apart from him apparently being married to a Kathleen O'GORMON (sic) from Dublin.
But the info could possibly be erroneous, that may be the reason that it's not been possible to track this family back earlier.
Your presentation of Albert James RUSSELL is more than acceptable as being a significant individual in this puzzle, especially with Kensington being the backdrop.  I need to ask further questions within the family, and also try and discover if anyone has a copy of that 1925 marriage certificate; if not, I'll send away for it...
keith

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sounds sensible, Keith - as always  :)

What more is known of your Albert?  The Kensington-born one who was 6 weeks old in the census on 31 March 1901 may be the same Albert James Russell (DOB 14.02.1901) who died in Henley in 1985.  There is a possible probate match giving his usual address as 190 Becklow Gardens, London W12.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks for that again, avm228!
I certainly need to ask important questions of the family now…
Keith

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There's also a military record for Albert from Kensington c1900 on the Surrey Regimental Rolls but I can't make out his mother's name but I think the address is W. Ealing

Albert James Russell
Birth Year:    abt 1900
Birth Place:    Kensington, London, Middx
Event Date:    1 Mar 1919
Event Place:    Havre
Regiment Number:    6077609
Other Regiment Number:    13187
Regiment:    Queen's Royal West Surrey
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire