Author Topic: Thomas Russell and Jessie Hughes, and son * Russell, Fife to Australia  (Read 6327 times)

Offline georgene_sink

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Russell and Jessie Hughes, and son * Russell, Fife to Australia
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 August 19 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello from Portland, Oregon! Not sure why I am replying except to say hello. I am a descendant of Lewis Russell (born Elgin, 1822), founder of the East of Fife Record at Anstruther, and enjoyed reading the comments. The journalistic tradition skipped two generations in my line, and then continued with my father, George Paxton Russell II, and myself. Best wishes to all. Georgene Eleanor Sink (nee Russell)

Offline broofer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 June 22 23:38 BST (UK) »
J

Offline broofer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 June 22 23:59 BST (UK) »
Just dipping in, as I have been going over a bit of the tree which included the Russells and the Swintons. Good to hear that the family is going strong. Just for info, the 1901 census shows in Fife - Charles Steven Russell 38, Annie 38, Maggie 14, Lewis 12, Thomas 10, Helene 6, Annie 2. The Charles ( Carl ) that I knew was born 1908 or 1909. He married my mother's cousin Harriet Swinton in 1938

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 10:10 BST (UK) »
Carl Russell was editor of the East Fife Observer, which sounds quite posh, but he was first and foremost a master printer and I remember him best standing beside his presses in dungarees with oily hands and a cigarette sticking out of the corner of his mouth.

His wife Harriet "Hetty" Swinton came from a long line of bakers in Cellardyke and her grandfather Thomas Swinton must have been quite patriotic because in 1900 his wife bore him a son, a late child (they had been married for almost twenty years) and they called the boy Horatio Herbert Kitchener Stewart Swinton. Kitchener was of course a famous general in the British army, he had just been involved in the Boer War in South Africa and we've all seen the poster of him pointing his finger and saying "Your country needs you!"

Harry

Offline broofer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 September 22 21:06 BST (UK) »
[ for Michelle Robinson ]
Re " Elizabeth (Lizzie) Hughes who lost her life in the great flu epidemic "
Just starting to grind myself into gear - According to Au / Victoria BMD , Elizabeth died 1936, Malvern East, Victoria, Australia, aged 45, b Pittenweem, father James Hughes, mother Betsy Butters