Author Topic: 1851 census help please  (Read 2588 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census help please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 May 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
You lot are great xxx, I have been stuggling with this family for ages, and with the variants in surnames I now know why.
MonicaL, yes you have the correct one, J Heatley was John Ferguson Heatlie their second son, he was also a tailor in 1871 as well so thanks for that. I'm starting to think that Bella was indeed Barbara as well, it wouldn't have even crossed my mind if it hadn't been mentioned on here but it makes sense. Can I have a few ideas why in 1861 John would have been in  a boys house of  refuge, and in 1871 Barbara his sister was in a girls reformatory school, was it a bad behaviour place or that simply Elizabeth their mother was poor and couldn't feed them all. Elizabeth died in 1885 in Linlithgow poor house as well.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 May 16 21:37 BST (UK) »
Not sure how easy or practical this will be but you could consider looking for poor relief applications for Elizabeth and family in Lanarkshire. A place to start to the search for these would be the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

See here for details www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,522720.0.html  Parts 5 & 6 cover this area.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks MonikaL, ill have a look x