Author Topic: Newspaper articles about triple homicide  (Read 13640 times)

Offline Geniene

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper articles about triple homicide
« Reply #45 on: Friday 19 May 23 17:15 BST (UK) »
I live in Whyalla and I remember the night this murder happened, we thought the screams were coming from the Shell service station across from the Eyre Hotel. The murder happened in the house on corner of Playford Ave, Shirley went to school with my older siblings. I can access the Whyalla News archives held at the local public library. The newspapers for this time are hardcopy, and over the years become fragile but still readable. If you want copy of what was written in Whyalla news I can photograph or photo copy the original articles. Len and Gladys I often saw in the front yard on the front page of the Monday issue of WN had a small photo of Len and that is how I remember him. The murder was a tragic rarity in Whyalla, and was the first murder I heard of. They are buried at Whyalla cemetery I have visited the graves over the years and it is a sorry sight, mound of earth and a cross that can be barely read. Laws forbid the cemetery workers from touching the graves to put a monument there without family permission the lease would be a 99 year lease on the plot  I photographed the graves for findagrave and Billiongraves in 2012. The cemetery is managed by Whyalla city council I can find out if they can at least paint their names on the crosses as I am not a family member I don't like my chances.