Author Topic: McAloney Family of Coleraine  (Read 7989 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
McAloney Family of Coleraine
« on: Sunday 08 May 16 08:08 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to locate any descendants of James McAloney and Mary Ann Carson who married 17 Nov 1861 in Killowen, Coleraine.  There were 9 known children of this couple but only 4 who are believed to have lived long enough to marry. 

Of the 4, William is believed to have settled in South Shields, England around the turn of the 20th century after having married in Scotland;  James is missing;  Andrew is missing;  Matilda is missing.  Neither marriages nor deaths can be found for James, Andrew and Matilda. 

Robert, another child, emigrated to Canada [this is our family's line]. 

All resources available via GRONI, PRONI, National Library and National Archives have been exhausted as this research has been ongoing for approximately 20 years.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAloney Family of Coleraine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 May 16 08:59 BST (UK) »
I noticed that the address given for the births of the later children, like James (1872), Robert (1875), Andrew (1877) and Matilda (1880), was Brook Street, Coleraine. If only to eventually eliminate (useful in itself), note that an Eliza McAloney (spinster) of Brook Street Coleraine married an Archibald Hamill of Garden Court Portrush in St. Patrick's Church of Ireland on 3 November 1891, her father given as James McAloney, a labourer.  Here are the couple in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Portrush_Urban/Causeway_Street/932106/

And in 1911, with her father James in the household:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Portrush_Town/Portrush/131208/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 May 16 09:09 BST (UK) »
For reference-

Mary Ann McAloney, age 75, died 28 Sept.1913

William to Scotland & England
? Annie Margaret c1865-1871
   death 1871? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRT8-3J8
Robert John born 27 Dec.1867
son born 1 Feb.1870
Annie Margaret born 20 Nov.1870
Andrew born 24 Oct.1871
   death 29 Oct.1871? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRT8-3JZ
James born 13 Sept.1872
Robert born 20 May 1875 died 1961 Ontario
Andrew born 14 Dec.1877
Matilda born 15 Aug.1880

Online family tree (not complete)-
   http://www.ancestrysolutions.com/FamilyCollectives/getperson.php?personID=I4517&tree=1
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 May 16 09:14 BST (UK) »
I noticed that the address given for the births of the later children, like James (1872), Robert (1875), Andrew (1877) and Matilda (1880), was Brook Street, Coleraine. If only to eventually eliminate (useful in itself), note that an Eliza McAloney (spinster) of Brook Street Coleraine married an Archibald Hamill of Garden Court Portrush in St. Patrick's Church of Ireland on 3 November 1891, her father given as James McAloney, a labourer.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Portrush_Town/Portrush/131208/

Note that James McAloney in Hamill household is a widower. Mary Ann (Carson) McAloney was supposed to have died in 1913 which fits with the death registration I found but haven't yet found her in either 1901 or 1911.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 May 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
Also found this McAloney family badly mis-transcribed in 1901 as McHoney- and strange that they could have an 11 year old grandson at their ages!
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Portrush_Urban/Causeway_Street/932048

From numerous online posts on numerous forums it would seem that this Andrew McAloney married (although says certificate never found) Jane Quinn and had son Andrew in 1903 (Crocknamack, Portrush) & later daughter Jeannie.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 May 16 10:27 BST (UK) »

... ,  note that an Eliza McAloney (spinster) of Brook Street Coleraine married an Archibald Hamill of Garden Court Portrush in St. Patrick's Church of Ireland on 3 November 1891, her father given as James McAloney, a labourer.  Here are the couple in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Portrush_Urban/Causeway_Street/932106/

The closest official "fit" I can find for a death for Lizzie Hamill's father James McAloney in the 1911 census return is one recorded in Ballymoney General Hospital on 5 February 1912, a male 70 year old widower, labourer, from Crocknamack (Portrush), who died after 9 months of a stroke.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 May 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
The Crocknamack residence for James McAloney who died in 1912 possibly fits with the Andrew McAloney born there 1903.

I checked the Valuation Revision Books for Brook St. Coleraine 1874-1892 and couldn't see any McAloney listing  :-\

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 May 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Also found this McAloney family badly mis-transcribed in 1901 as McHoney- and strange that they could have an 11 year old grandson at their ages!
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Portrush_Urban/Causeway_Street/932048

From numerous online posts on numerous forums it would seem that this Andrew McAloney married (although says certificate never found) Jane Quinn and had son Andrew in 1903 (Crocknamack, Portrush) & later daughter Jeannie.

Finally getting somewhere tracing the above family. In 1911 Jane McAloney & 2 children (Andrew 7 and Jeanie 5) are living with Gilmour relatives in Coleraine. Have to check my files but should have something on them.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Circular_Road/589422

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
McAloney Family of Coleraine
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey and Gaffy for your replies to my post.  You have both been very busy.  So much so, that I'm not entirely sure which is the easiest point to address first.  However, I have to let you know that my reply is rather long and will probably require two or more postings to get it all posted.

So, I'll start with the tree on   
http://www.ancestrysolutions.com/FamilyCollectives/getperson.php?personID=I4517&tree=1
That is mine which is somewhat out-of-date as I have now established the deaths of several of the earlier children many of whom died within days and months of having been born, vizt.  Robert John died 13 Sep 1874 not quite 7 years old;  the unnamed son died 3 Feb 1870 just 2 days after birth; Annie Margaret died 26 Dec 1870 being one month after birth;  the first Andrew died 29 Oct 1871 being 5 days after birth, leaving William, James, Robert, Andrew and Matilda as the 'living' children.

Furthermore, I have established that the Mary Ann McAloney who died in 1913 is not Mary Ann nee CARSON.  The death certificate from 1913 reveals that Mary Ann McAloney was the "former wife of a labourer, signed by John McAloney widower of deceased present at death.  Died 28 September 1913 at Tullans Coleraine."  I have also found this Mary Ann with her husband John on the 1911 census at:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Knockantern/Tullans/590517/

which reveals that John McAloney was born in Co. Antrim, the couple were married for 14 years and there were no children of the marriage born at any time.

So, that still leaves me without any death registration in Ireland for 'my' James McAloney and Mary Ann nee CARSON.

The Andrew McAloney and Jane Quinn conundrum I have been trying to drill down on for some time.  In all documentation that I have found for Andrew he claims a birth year of 1882 whereas Andrew of 'my' family was born in 1877.  I, too, have looked for a marriage certificate for this couple and have come up empty - no marriage in England, Wales, Scotland or Ireland.  Yet, I did confirm that the surname of the mother of the two children Andrew and Jane, as she was born, was QUINN.  I have not found this Andrew's death which should have occurred between 1906 and 1911 when his wife claims that she is a widower.  I believe that this Andrew is the fellow on the 1901 census at:

The James McAloney who died in 1912 at Crocknamack may not fit with the Andrew McAloney born there 1903.  This particular James McAloney was aged 70 years on his death in 1912 placing his birth year circa 1842.  If the Andrew aged 19 of the 1901 census is the fellow who was the father of Andrew in 1903 then Andrew's father, James, was either badly mistated age wise on the 1901 census or the death of James in 1912 saw the age badly overstated.

Doing the math of Andrew's parents, James and Mary Ann, produces years of birth for them of 1861 and 1863, respectively.  The first known and confirmed child of 'my' James and Mary Ann (nee CARSON) is Robert John who was born 27 Dec 1867 in Coleraine, utterly dismissing the James and Mary Ann with Andrew in 1901 as contenders for being the same people.

See Continuation #1
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE