Author Topic: McAloney Family of Coleraine  (Read 7980 times)

Offline Valally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAloney Family of Coleraine
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 25 February 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey for all the info here. I am Andrew McAloney's daugher, father born Crocnamack, Portrush in 1903.  Am still trying to figure out where all this info fits in to what I already know, but a great help. I tried years ago to find out more but then gave up but now have a renewed interst in finding more information.  Very helpful to have information on Jane Quinn's sisters and brother, etc as Jane was my grandmother.   I did not know she had any sisters and brother. Would be great if I could find out where their descendants are  now. Also hope to continue with researching my grandfather's family the McAloneys.  Now my father's middle name was Carson, yet there seems to be some dispute as to who Mary Ann Carson was married to.   Have always thought she was my grandfather's mother.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 25 February 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
There's no double who Mary Ann Carson married- her husband was James McAloney- go back and read through the thread to see all that's been found.

I posted details of the family of a Jane Quinn but you need to do more research to be sure that it is your grandmother Jane Quinn.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Valally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 25 February 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I do agree that Jas McAloney married Mary Ann Carson as I got a lot of information from a Susan Young in Canada I think who had a website "email removed" in 2006 which stated this   and she said she suspected that there were about 14 children born to these two people.  Her cousin apparently was Robert McAloney's daughter Mary one of that family.  Robert McAloney was born in Brook Street, Coleraine.  I have a copy of that document. He was born on 20th May 1875. Thanks for all the information you gave me, it all helps.  I think some of the  children she mentioned did not survive though and marry eventually, but some did and I must find out where they are(the descendants) if possible.  As you can see from the date mentioned I did try many years ago to find out more information but gave up. Now I would like to do some more and maybe get more info.

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 25 February 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valally,

I have just removed this persons email as this is how spammers pick up on folks email.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 25 February 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valally,

I am the one that you had correspondence with many years back. 

Yes, my email used to be the vaxxine.com address but that changed many years ago.  You can contact me directly PM through here, as you did a few days ago. 

Yes, Mary McAloney was my cousin.  She passed away 12 Dec 2003.  Her mother (my aunt), Edith nee Hill passed away on 4 Aug 2001 and Robert McAloney (my uncle who was the son of James McAloney and Mary (Anne) nee Carson) passed away on 14 Dec 1961.  He was 86 years, 6 months and 24 days old at the time of his death in 1961.  My aunt never remarried.  Our family being very small and matriarchical, my aunt and my mother worked together, Mary looked after me after school, we lived within a blocks of each other.  So, our relationships were very close.

To date, 10 children have been absolutely confirmed as having been born to James McAloney and Mary (Ann) Carson.  I put Mary's middle name in brackets as sometimes it was used on the birth certificates of the children and sometimes it wasn't.  Until a baptism document can be found for her no one can say with impunity that her name was or was not Mary Anne or simply Mary.

James McAloney and Mary (Ann) Carson married 17 Nov 1861 but the earliest confirmed child is William who was born circa 1864/5.  So, there is a definite possibility that there was one or two children born even earlier in their marriage that may have died in infancy or during childbirth.  Some things such as this we may never know.

You and I have both been working toward the same end, Valally - to attempt to locate living descendants with more knowledge of the family than either of us have.  I have more than you do.  What I am able to share, I have.  The rest, I'm afraid relates to the more delicate and private side of Robert's life in all of the places in which he has lived.  Some of the information I have (all documented proof) affects other living descendants and as such ethically and morally I cannot share that information.  I am in regular touch with Robert's other descendants.

Just to summarize the known children of James and Mary (Ann) nee Carson for you:

The Dead:
1. Robert John born 27 Dec 1867, died 13 Sep 1874 (Brook Street, Coleraine)

2. unnamed son born 1 Feb 1870, died 3 Feb 1870

3. Annie Margaret born 26 Nov, died 26 Dec 1870

4. Andrew born 24 Oct 1871, died 29 Oct 1871

The Living:
5.  William born circa 1864/5, married twice had 5 known children, died 19 Apr 1917 Whitehead, Templecorran.

6.  Eliza born circa 1869 married Archibald Hamill, no known children.

7.  James born 13 Sep 1871 married once, 8 children identified.

8.  Robert (my uncle) born 20 May 1875, married 3 times, 5 children between the 3 wives.  Unfortunately, none of the other children knew even as much as I do about Robert's life.

9.  Andrew born 14 Dec 1877, died 12 Nov 1908, known to have lived with Jane Quinn in a possibly common-law marriage.  The lack of a marriage certificate is a hindrance.  Jane's second marriage seems to have been very blatantly registered under her maiden surname of Quinn despite her assertion that her names was, at that time, Jane McAloney, from irishgenealogy.ie, to wit:

"Party 1 Name   JAMES MCNERLANE
Party 2 Name   JANE QUINN
Date of Event   18 August 1913
Group Registration ID   1706435
SR District/Reg Area   Coleraine"

This second marriage was by licence.

The fact that Andrew and Jane's first child was named Andrew Carson McAloney would strongly suggest that this family properly belongs to James McAloney and Mary (Ann) nee Carson.  However, the commonness of the surname Carson dictates that one also has to always reserve, in the light of the lack of other documentary evidence to the contrary, that there is a possibility that this family belongs to a different branch of the McAloney tribe.

10.  Matilda born 15 Aug 1880, fate unknown.

So, to sum up, it would appear that any living descendants would likely now be found to be descendants of either William or James - you comprising descendants of Andrew and myself and my contacts comprising descendants/relatives of Robert.  Of course, if anyone can locate Matilda or discover if she or Eliza had any children, then those two daughters are also possible sources of descendants.

Must run for now.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 25 February 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Aghadowey, thanks for digging out the births of the other two children of William and Lydia (Helena) Swann.  I didn't have the time to search all surname spelling variants and notice that for the registration of Robert (1903) the surname is spelled even more bizarrely than usual "McIlhoney"!  I knew there would be more children and, really, there still may be even more, perhaps some lost in childbirth.
The 1911 census says 4 children so likely all have been found.

Just would point out that William died in 1917.  So, there may have been one or more children born between 1911 and 1917.  I just haven't looked for any as yet.

CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 25 February 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Just would point out that William died in 1917.  So, there may have been one or more children born between 1911 and 1917.  I just haven't looked for any as yet.
There were certainly no children born up till 1916- naturally I checked civil registrations BEFORE I posted details earlier.

I counted 11 children (so far)- suspect both William & Eliza born between 1862-1863-
1. William (c1863 Coleraine-1917)- 5 children
2. Annie Margaret (c1865-1871)
3. Robert John (1867-1874)
4. Son (1870-1870)
5. Annie Margaret (1870-1870)
6. Lizzie/Eliza (c1871?) m. Archibald Hamill- no children found
7. Andrew (1871-1871)
8. James (1872)- 8 children
9. Robert (1875-1961)- haven't looked into his descendants but they are already known to Zachtyr
10. Andrew (1877-1908)- 2 children
11. Matilda (1880)

Note- ones crossed out died young, ones in bold survived childhood (no details for Matilda yet but no obvious death in Ireland)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Valally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to say that an investigator for me a few years ago said James McAloney and wife Mary Ann McAloney(nee Carson) and Andrew McAloney son, golf caddy and William McAloney g randson born in Antrim aged 11) lived at 39 Causeway Street Portrush.  I have always gone to Portrush for holiday with my parents when younger and we stayed in Causeway Street with a landlady who had a brother a famous golfer and as my father's father was a golf caddy they talked a lot about golf.

This information was in the census of 1901.    Also stated that marriage between Jane McAloney and James McNerlane took place on 18th August 1913.  So it seems it is almost impossible to believe anything now I think.

Offline africanlove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
For Zacktyr,

Robert Carson McAloney was my 1st gg through his daughter, Adelaide my grandmother. I would love to connect with you. I live in Peterborough, Ontario.