Author Topic: Thomas SKINNER, born 1814? in Tasmania? and parents?  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas SKINNER, born 1814? in Tasmania? and parents?
« on: Sunday 08 May 16 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to hack away at Thomas SKINNER for months now.... he does NOT want me to find out who his parents are!

Starting from his death: it was registered in 1890 in Footscray, Victoria, no parents listed. Age given as 74 so estimated birth year of 1816.

He was married 19 Apr 1844 to Harriett HUTCHINSON in Launceston, Tasmania, in the house of Mrs Winfield and the presence of William Skinner (brother, uncle, father??). He listed his occupation as Brickmaker and gives his age as 27 (so estimated birth year of 1817).
The marriage register is publicly available here: https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fNAME_INDEXES$002f0$002fNAME_INDEXES:833700/one

I have a record of his first child, Elizabeth, being born in Tasmania in 1845 and then the birth of a son, Thomas, in 1849 in Victoria, so I assume they moved from Tas to Vic sometime between 1846 and 1848.

And no records of a birth for a Thomas Skinner in the 1810's in Tasmania.

Now, I do have a record for a 19 year old convict arriving in 1833 (estimated birth year 1814), on the Emperor Alexander.....but still no parent information.

Ugh. With some spare time I will try and do a newspaper search and cross reference dates/release papers etc, but does anyone else have any suggestions please?
HOWARD, LE JUGE, SCHROEDER all Australian

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas SKINNER, born 1814? in Tasmania? and parents?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 May 16 15:48 BST (UK) »
Now, I do have a record for a 19 year old convict arriving in 1833 (estimated birth year 1814), on the Emperor Alexander.....but still no parent information.

He applied to (and did) marry Susan MARR in 1836, but I cannot see any children.

His conduct record is pretty amusing
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-40,262,18,F,60

He did have access to the Government Brickmakers' Hut, so that is promising.

According to the description lists, both Thomas SKINNER (1833 Emperor Alexander) and William SKINNER (1833 John 2) were from Islington.

Debra  :)

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 16 00:42 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is the same Susan MARR apprehended in 1830, presumably after absconding.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4208049

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 16 01:38 BST (UK) »
I had disregarded the Thomas SKINNER/Susan MARR marriage because I was looking for the Thomas SKINNER married to Harriett HUTCHINSON.

But... they could be the same man, if Susan MARR died sometime before 1844.

I will have a hunt and see if I can figure out if Thomas/Susan had any children, and when Susan died. At the very least, I will have a family tree for a Thomas SKINNER that someone might be wanting :)

Hmmm, weird that if Thomas and William were brothers, they were transported on different ships... I am assuming that they caught for the same crime of course!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 16 03:18 BST (UK) »
Can you name the children from eldest down to youngest please & a note with each who could be from Harriet's line as a Scottish naming pattern may hold a clue to his parentage?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 May 16 04:30 BST (UK) »
Likely Thomas Skinner the convict did marry twice. If you look at one of his last convict felonies he was in the Campbellton chain gang. That's Campbell Town now days and he's here in the Campbell Town lower court records to back that up - http://stors.tas.gov.au/LC83-1-3 image 146.

A Susan Skinner died in Campbell Town in 1839 - https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD34-1-2p013j2k Though the age does seem to be a little older than I would expect? Then again this is a burial record not a death certificate...

Cheers,

Peter

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 May 16 04:50 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you Peter. If Susan was much older than Thomas, that could be why I have not accidently stumbled across any children.

Thank you Debra! From those records, it looks like Thomas SKINNER was convicted in Middlesex in 1832 and transported for 7 years, arriving in VDL 12 Aug 1833. I can't read what he was charged from that record.
William SKINNER was a transfer from London Goal and arrived in VDL on 3 Aug 1833. He was also sentenced to seven years, again, I am not sure for what.

I wonder if they really were brothers ???

Annie, thanks for your question. I have the children of Thomas SKINNER and Harriet HUTCHENSON listed as:
Elizabeth Skinner 1845 Tas–1928 Vic
Thomas Skinner 1849 Vic –1860 Vic and
Henry Skinner 1857 Vic – (no death info yet)

Though, the gap of eight years between Thomas and Henry makes me think that there are multiple children I am missing. Hell, I am probably missing at least one child between Elizabeth and Thomas as well  :( Which does not help with the Scottish naming pattern either.

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 16 05:17 BST (UK) »
Likely Thomas Skinner the convict did marry twice. If you look at one of his last convict felonies he was in the Campbellton chain gang. That's Campbell Town now days and he's here in the Campbell Town lower court records to back that up - http://stors.tas.gov.au/LC83-1-3 image 146.

A Susan Skinner died in Campbell Town in 1839 - https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD34-1-2p013j2k Though the age does seem to be a little older than I would expect? Then again this is a burial record not a death certificate...

Cheers,

Peter

I think this is the same Susan SKINNER (nee MARR). She has no listing on the death record as a convict, and no ship listed next to her name which would seem to imply she was born in Tasmania or immigrated there of her own free will.
The Permission to Marry and Marriage Record both list Susan MARR as "free".