Author Topic: Thomas SKINNER, born 1814? in Tasmania? and parents?  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas SKINNER, born 1814? in Tasmania? and parents?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey, 

You may need to check your centuries again.

:)  1920 or 1820 for the arrival of the Morley. 

Re the 1820 voyage of the Morley

From the INDEX for the NSW Col Sec papers 1788-1825 (many digitised images available online via Ancestry) but here's the link to the free to search index, showing the source is filmed at NSW SR reel 6007

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/m/F39c_mo-14.htm#P6015_211225
1820 Sep 22
List of 30 female convicts disembarked from and forwarded to Parramatta for distribution 

Parramatta is in New South Wales.   

Cheers,  JM

Oh boy!! My bad. Yes, 1820, not 100 years later :)

The Morley traveled from London with 121-124 (conflicting passenger lists) convicts on board. On 29 August 1820 she arrived in Hobart and disembarked at least 50 convicts (the Tasmanian Name Index has records for 56, of which Sussannah Marr is one), she then took on 7 passengers from the Janus before sailing to Port Jackson where she arrived on 30 Sept 1820.
At least the thirty you have found on that list obviously went to the goal at Parramatta, which leaves about 40 unaccounted for..... it is possible they were not all convicts either, as the Morley carried female passengers and children that were allowed to join their husbands in the colonies.

This has some nice references at the end:
http://www.jenwilletts.com/morley_1820.htm
HOWARD, LE JUGE, SCHROEDER all Australian

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 07:01 BST (UK) »
Re Thomas SKINNER
Again, using the ref supplied by Debra, Thomas SKINNER, tried at Westminster, October 1832 was transported per Emporer Alexander.
The record shows that there was further misconduct in 1837 in VDL.  It reads to me as though Thomas SKINNER, and his wife (no name given) with convicts 1512 David HALL, 880 Anthony TAYLOR and 1160 ? SIBLEY induced William and Ann BLANCHARD (free persons) to stay in the Government Brickmakers' Hut at Norfolk Plains with the intention of robbing them after getting them drunk.  I think it read that they were not brought to trial as the parties robbed were too drunk at the time to be able to give evidence.

Perhaps these names and the place given could be useful to you?  I apologise but I'm not very au fait with Tasmanian history/geography.  :(

You are a STAR Judith!
Yes, that supports the occupation of Thomas Skinner as a Brickmaker :)
I was totally unable to read most of that writing yesterday, and was going to try different coloured filters later, but I think you got most of it  ;D

Yeah, It would not surprise me that William SKINNER was apparently accepting stolen property from Bush rangers. I don't think any of them could keep out of trouble.
In 1837 (after becoming a free woman ???) Susan SKINNER was arrested for being drunk and disorderly. And both her and Thomas SKINNER's records were pretty long!

I hope that they stayed out of trouble after they moved onto Victoria, but I have not looked up any newspapers to see if they appear yet....

Thank you, Tracey

Modified to clarify: I hope Thomas SKINNER kept out of trouble with his new wife Harriett HUTCHINSON after they moved to Victoria some time around 1846-1848. I wonder if William went with them. I am curious about him now.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 08:57 BST (UK) »
You have already cited this...
Death, 1890, #11855
Thos SKINNER, 74 (b abt 1816)
Death Place:   Footscray, Victoria

Do you have an actual record for the child born in Victoria in 1848?
Births, Victoria, 1849 #30802
Thomas SKINNER
Born: Portland, Victoria
Parents: Thomas Skinner, Harriet

Deaths, Victoria,  1860, #10943
Thomas SKINNER, 12 (b abt 1848)
Parents: Thomas, Harriet

My resources are not as good as those of some other R'chatters but, because the mother's surname is not given there isn't enough evidence from the index entries to be sure that it's the same couple.

I see this death in Tasmania
Registered 1857 # 140 at Franklin, Tasmania
Harriett SKINNER, 36 (b abt 1821)
Death Date:   04 Oct 1857

There is an inquest for this woman held at the residence of a John LOMAX at Port Esperance, Oct 1857.  She was found to have died from apoplexy hastened by intemperance.
I see Harriett was aged 18 on the marriage certificate so the ages given are a bit out, so perhaps it's not her.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith!

I think that might be a different Harriett SKINNER. I do have that inquest document saved to my family tree, in case it turns out to be her. But why would she go back to Tasmania? Particularly when she had just had Henry SKINNER (b 1857, Kangaroo Ground, Victoria reg#5599)?

I do also have a record for Hart SKINNER, died in Carlton North, Victoria in 1901 (reg#1015). Father listed as Richd HUTCHENSON and mother Bridt BURNE, which I **assume** is her.

The same Richard HUTCHINSON and Bridget BYRNES (both convicts transported to Tasmania) had
Jane HUTCHINSON 1818–1879
Ann HUTCHINSON 1821–
Eleanor HUTCHINSON 1822–
and Mark HUTCHINSON 1825–
all born in Tasmania, before Harriett came along in 1826.

If you are interested in such things; Richard HUTCHINSON met a terrible end in 1830.
Some of it is sumerised here:
http://www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/hutchinson/richard/95541
There is also the confession of his killer, which was published in full in the newspaper:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8646019

Don't read it before going to bed ;)

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
Ok, so I just went through 200 newspaper articles containing the name "Thomas SKINNER" in Victoria.

And have discovered from at least 1879, until his death in 1890, Mr Thomas SKINNER was an owner of a portable Saveloy Machine. He would periodically advertise for a man to drive it (conveniently listing his street address each time  ;D ) before an announcement of Harriett SKINNER becoming the administer of his estate in 1890.

I am happy that they stayed together so long :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 08:34 BST (UK) »
Wow - a great effort!  You have done some excellent research with this family.  The death of Harriet's father is very gruesome  :o

Do you think the Thomas SKINNER b Portland, Vic, 1849 and then died in 1860 is the same family?  If Thomas and Harriett arrived first into Western Victoria this may explain why it's been difficult to find their entry - in my experience those shipping records are not as easy to find, but maybe I don't know where to look properly.

I am assuming you have plenty about Elizabeth SKINNER?

Now, here's a HUGE MAYBE and I don't see how it can be proved, but I thought it worth adding.

As Debra had already pointed out - sorry Debra, obviously I  should have read more closely  :( -
both Thomas SKINNER (1833 Emperor Alexander) and William SKINNER (1833 John 2) were from Islington.

William SKINNER, 22 (b abt 1811) , tried 4 July 1833 at the Old Bailey for stealing a handkerchief in the Ludgate Hill, Sadlers Wells, Drury Lane, St Brides area of London.

Thomas SKINNER, tried Clerkenwell October session, 6 October 1832, larceny from a person, 7 years transportation.  Can't see an age on any of the criminal documents.
There is an earlier conviction which may be him - Old Bailey, April session 1831, aged 20, convicted of larceny and got 6 weeks imprisonment. This crime took place in Great Windmill St, Soho.

There is this baptism shown on the parish registers:
Thomas SKINNER, reported born 22 November 1813
Baptism: 19 Dec 1813 at St Marylebone
Parents: Thomas and Ann SKINNER; Thomas' occupation: servant

FamilySearch has other baptisms at St Marylebone for children of Thomas and Ann SKINNER,
William, b 14 October 1808. baptised 27 November 1808
Henry, b 22 January 1816, baptised 15 September 1816 Father's occupation: lab'r
John, b 8 March 1819, baptised 22 August 1819 Father's occupation here: "Trade"

However, as already said this is pure speculation.  There are 2 other couples of the same names having children baptised around the same time - one lot at St Brides and the other at Fetter Lane Independent.  All of the Christian names are very common which doesn't help either way.  All of these baptisms and the crimes are certainly within walking distance of Islington.  However if Thomas was born n in Islington it would be more likely that he would be baptised in the local church.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 09:03 BST (UK) »

Do you have an actual record for the child born in Victoria in 1848?
Births, Victoria, 1849 #30802
Thomas SKINNER
Born: Portland, Victoria
Parents: Thomas Skinner, Harriet

Deaths, Victoria,  1860, #10943
Thomas SKINNER, 12 (b abt 1848)
Parents: Thomas, Harriet

Judith

Just to add the death of young Thomas given above records his birth as having been in Portland. 

SKINNER Thomas
Father Thomas
Mother Harriet
Age 12
Birth Place POR
Reg  10943

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 May 16 07:10 BST (UK) »
Nice work!

I am as sure as I can be, going off names, that Thomas SKINNER (1849-1860) was the child of Thomas SKINNER and Harriet HUTCHINSON. I wish I could find a newspaper report about the death though. Unfortunately it seems the family were never big on putting announcements in the newspaper.

I have birth, death and marriage records for Elizabeth SKINNER (she became Elizabeth LE JUGE in 1862 in Victoria). I am waiting for copies of her husbands naturalisation records to become available, and then I am going to call his branch of the family tree closed.

In the mean time, I need to try and track down what happened to William SKINNER from Tasmania. Did he move to Victoria with Thomas and Harriet maybe? Did he get married and have kids? I might be able to find some details about William's parents that way.

I can also go back to the English records, and see if I can track down what happened to the children of the three different Thomas and Anne SKINNER families. If I can track them through census records, i **might** be able to figure out which pair of Thomas and William SKINNER boys was transported to Australia.

With my luck, it will turn out that Thomas SKINNER and William SKINNER are not even related, and they just became friends when they met in the colony!

I still have lots of research I can do :) I have not given up yet!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 May 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
I posted this on your other thread on Thomas SKINNER.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748260.0

Thomas SKINNER was baptised 1849 at St Stephen's C of E, Portland.  This is a parish record which has been transcribed to the birth index.

The death index in that era shows the place of birth of the deceased NOT the place of death. Sue has posted the death registration on the linked thread.   You need to see the death certificate to find the place of death.

Neither the birth of death regs have a maiden name for Harriet.

Henry's birth certificate should list all the previous issue for Thomas and Harriet; the parents' ages and places of birth and the date and place of their marriage.

Birth
SKINNER Henry
Father Thomas  Mother Harriet HUTCHINSON
At Kangaroo Ground  1857  Reg#5599

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_Ground,_Victoria
http://www.goldgemtreasure.com.au/content_common/pg-head-queenstown-st-andrews-and-the-caledonia-goldfield.seo

This may be his death...age is a match.

SKINNER Henry
Parents unknown
1878  21 years Born Victoria  Reg#5939

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk