Author Topic: Bankside Nursing Home  (Read 631 times)

Offline LeeanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bankside Nursing Home
« on: Sunday 08 May 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a probate record for my ancestor, Marian Ebden Armstrong, which says she died at Bankside Nursing Home, Wivelsfield, Sussex in 1938.  I've searched, but am not seeming to find a Bankside Nursing Home in Sussex - does anyone know anything about this Home? Has its name changed to something else over the years?

Thank you,
Leeanne
BLUNDEN, BLUNDELL, ANDREWS, CUFFE, CREAGHE, BALFOUR, BALNEAVIS, BECHER, CARSON, CHALONER, LLOYD, OSBOURNE, HONE, KNOX, LODGE, MAUNSELL, O'MALLEY - Ireland; ERLANK, ERLANG - Sweden; GRIESSEL, OSCHE - Germany; CONRADIE, SLATEM, DAVEL, KEMM, TAYLOR, EBDEN - South Africa; PLANTAGENET - England

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bankside Nursing Home
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 May 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
This is a Bankside near to Wivelsfield, although I can see nothing that confirms this was used as a Nursing Home

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=50.9617&lon=-0.0965&layers=176&right=BingHyb

Kay

Edit - Interesting there is an article in the Sussex Agricultural Express September 26, 1947 that refers to Bankside Nursing Home, Ditchling Common and the common land adjacent to the Bankside I posted above is shown as Ditchling Common if you scroll down further south on the map

In press on November 13, 1946 advert for an Assistant Nurse for 15 patients at Bankslde Nursing Home, Ditchling Common. Burgess Hill, Sussex.   In addition although I am not allowed to post details of the 1939 Register re Bankside I think it confirms the location of the Nursing Home near to Bethal Chapel.

Offline Psycholemon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bankside Nursing Home
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
I recognise after 12 years that you probably don't need to know this but Bankside Nursing Home was next to Bankside Farm in Wivelsfield. It was a large Victorian house that had been converted into a nursing home and when it closed it was bought by my friends who converted it back into a private home and still live in it.