Author Topic: St Davids Roman Catholic Chapel, Bute Terrace, Cardiff  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Davids Roman Catholic Chapel, Bute Terrace, Cardiff
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:29 GMT (UK) »
That’s Bute Terrace. Sorry it’s an image i found, don’t know from when or size.

I’ve just remembered that i found a copy of a booklet on St David’s Cathedral and it gives a bit of history. Here’s what looks like the same picture and details of opening and cost.

Sorry, not having much luck with photos, but it opened in 1842 and cost a total of £2,124 17s 8d inc architects fees and purchase of the site!
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I shall have to find a way to get down to the Cardiff Local history Unit. I need to do this anyway for there is probably more to be found on Adam Street and there are also gravestones to be discovered & photographed in Newport, Mon & Aberdare.
Thank you very much Deirdre for that quantum jump in my F.H.
Toby.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 March 19 07:01 GMT (UK) »
No problem Toby, pleased to help.

You could try emailing the library and see what they say, maybe they could scan a copy for you?

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 November 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I got there very recently and found the staff in the library very helpful. They had also an old view of Adam Street in winter. There were also lots of books of local interest.
Incidentally, for anyone planning to visit, the local history library in not the central libray but one on the south side of Cathays Cemetery (closed Friday & Sunday). 8 or 9 bus from the centre. T

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 November 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
The staff are very helpful, but the move to Cathays was a nuisance. I regularly went to the local studies unit when it was in the central library but it’s difficult to park at Cathays (they have much improved computers with newspaper readers though).