Author Topic: Where is this castle?  (Read 6202 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this castle?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 May 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
Margaret aged 3 months was born Gourock

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 May 16 22:11 BST (UK) »

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 May 16 00:01 BST (UK) »
Good finds Sancti.

Not a castle but a house and a half nevertheless.  :)

Marie, you can stay there on your next trip to Scotland:
http://www.argyllcoast.co.uk/west/bnb/bed_breakfast_barcaldine.htm

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 May 16 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie,

Maybe an email to tell them of your connection & offer the history of the family might get you a discount  ???  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 May 16 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie,

Maybe an email to tell them of your connection & offer the history of the family might get you a discount  ???  ;D

Annie
;D

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 May 16 01:45 BST (UK) »
I was doing research for a fellow roothunter (not too long ago but not on rootschat) & their ancestor had stayed at an hotel in Argyll.....EDIT Just checked & it was Harris & the year he was a guest was 1871

I emailed the hotel (now a different name) with my query & they were very nice.......

Had a reply from them telling me they still had an old visitors book but it was after the date the person had been there but they were intrigued with my interest.

So, you may get some info. if you email them...worth trying  :)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 May 16 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys,

Been out and about all day - just catching up with things before hitting the hay...

Thanks for finding the family on census.  I had had a look but wasn't finding them either, so sancti, I reckon you were pretty clever to find them.  Husband and father Donald Charles seems to be missing - he should have been somewhere in Scotland, but there are so many Donald Charles Camerons!!! 8) 8)  He came back with his family from the Caribbean, but left for Australia a year earlier than they did as Margaret Anne was pregnant with yet another child!  (There were more when they got to Australia, including my great-grandmother :))

Little Adelaide Elizabeth who died at sea was clearly named after her maternal grandmother, a Frenchwoman who went by the alternate names of Marie Francoise Adelaide, or Adele, take your pick, so not surprising that she was baptised Adelaide but known as Adele.  The poor little mite wasn't on this earth for very long, though.

The first three children were born in Berbice, British Guiana.

I've been reading various things including Cameron histories that I have, and there are differing stories about Barcaldine Castle/House - but it is the castle that my cousin has a photo of, suggesting that is where the family had a connection (though they weren't in Scotland for very long).  Both seem now to be posh B&Bs - the castle looks VERY posh!

Ruskie and Annie, nice thought, but even if I got a family discount, I suspect either of them would be well beyond my budget!!! :D  Might go and have a look if I get back to Scotland any time, though!

Will consider emailing one or other place when I get a better fix on what was going on.  Clearly Margaret and her family weren't there, at least when the census was taken!

Bed-time, thanks,

Marie
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 May 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
Which Donald Charles death is this Will for?

CAMERON   DONALD CHARLES   19/08/1849   OF FOXHALL, CO. LINLITHGOW AND OF BARCALDINE, CO. ARGYLL

On the original 1851 census is Margaret described as wife or head?   

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 May 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
That will is for the uncle of my ancestor - both of them were Donald Charles Cameron.  The uncle is the one who bought Barcaldine Castle and he died in 1848.

I don't have access to the original census, only to transcriptions, and have finally managed to find what you found, sancti.  On the transcription Margaret is described as "Head".  Don't know where her husband was.  We understand that their daughter Eliza was born on 7th August 1852 so he can't have left for Australia earlier than late 1851. ;D

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland