Author Topic: Constable family of Clonmel  (Read 3905 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Constable family of Clonmel
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
I would be 99% happy now that Robert Constable married twice as stated previously in 1806 and 1811 based on Hanes teulu's findings.

Which wife was mother to which children could prove more difficult.

Robert prior to death was described as the eldest. I'd consider him No 1. William in the will was described as the elder I'd consider him No 2.

Henry Bc 1820 based on college records. He was No 3 in the absence of knowledge of other children.  His mother was most likely Ann Carey.

I would believe that their sister Jane was the daughter of Ann Lanphier as she married in 1834 unless there was an earlier third marriage to confuse matters. 😉

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 16 11:21 BST (UK) »
I would be 99% happy now that Robert Constable married twice as stated previously in 1806 and 1811 based on Hanes teulu's findings.
I would believe that their sister Jane was the daughter of Ann Lanphier as she married in 1834 unless there was an earlier third marriage to confuse matters. 😉
[/quote]

Yes it is a difficult one this but I believe what we have is a Robert Constable Snr who was a Medic a son Robert who was also Medic and married twice - first Ann Lanphier in 1806 - she died in 1809 Mrs A Constable. He then married Ann Carey in 1811. Dr Robert Jnr had a son Robert, his eldest who died in 1825 and that is why he does not get mentioned in his father's will of 1830. My exeperience of wills is they name males first oldest to youngest then females again oldest to youngest. We know he only had one daughter Jane. So we can reasonably assume William is older than Henry born about 1816. Jane is almost certainly older than Henry, so were Robert William and Jane all children of Ann Carey or were any a child of Ann Lanphier. Have I got this about right?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
I'd agree !

Henry was definitely the son of Ann CAREY
He is shown in the TCD Alumni Dublinenses as 16 on Oct 22 1832 - LINK page 194 implies born 1816

If the William shown is his brother his implied year of birth is c1814

Not sure how John Nicholson is related but he married Ann VANSTON on Aug 9 1847 LINK
Newspapers state he was the eldest son of Robert CONSTABLE of Rock Lodge, Tipperary
The family were based in Mullinahone, Co. Tipperary

Dublin Weekly Register on Jan 02 1830 (and other newspapers) announced this death
At Priorpark, after a tedious illness, Robert Constable, a magistrate of the county and a gentleman of incorruptible integrity.

In December 1839 Henry sold the furniture from Prior Park at auction and was intending to "let or dispose of his interest in the house" which would make you wonder what happened to William!?

Be very cautious of some online family trees that purport to show the family of Robert HALL and Jane CONSTABLE they have glaring errors!

Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 May 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
I'd agree !

Henry was definitely the son of Ann CAREY
He is shown in the TCD Alumni Dublinenses as 16 on Oct 22 1832

Not sure how John Nicholson is related but he married Ann VANSTON on Aug 9 1847 Newspapers state he was the eldest son of Robert CONSTABLE of Rock Lodge, Tipperary
The family were based in Mullinahone, Co. Tipperary

Dublin Weekly Register on Jan 02 1830 (and other newspapers) announced this death
At Priorpark, after a tedious illness, Robert Constable, a magistrate of the county and a gentleman of incorruptible integrity.

In December 1839 Henry sold the furniture from Prior Park at auction and was intending to "let or dispose of his interest in the house" which would make you wonder what happened to William!?

Be very cautious of some online family trees that purport to show the family of Robert HALL and Jane CONSTABLE they have glaring errors!
Myluck many thanks for your help with this, really appreciated - same to others who have chipped in. Absolutely I agree Henry was child of Ann Carey as was William - William was born about 1811/12 so would be Ann Carey..William died 1888 in Clonmel aged 77. That leaves Robert and Jane to sort next.

Now the really interesting one you a have turned up is eldest son John Nicholson Constable. Anne Lanphier's maternal grandfather was John Nicholson...so when it states eldest son of Robert it may actually mean eldest son of Robert and first wife Anne Lanphier. As you say and it happens all the time many trees out there have serious flaws that's why I get as much collateral evidence as possible and then some. But why wasn't John Nicholson mentioned in his father's will?
Cheers

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 May 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
Did William marry Hannah Hackett at Ballynakill Church August 1836?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 May 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
Myluck!
Have you seen the item in the Dublin Evening Mail, 24 Jun 1842 headed "Constable v Constable"?

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 May 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
Myluck!
Have you seen the item in the Dublin Evening Mail, 24 Jun 1842 headed "Constable v Constable"?
Myluck and Hanes this is all looking a bit strange. William Constable attended TCD arriving in June 1831 his father Thomas(defunctus) dead, so good so far. William on entry aged 17 so born abt 1814 again ok. John Nicholson Constable attends TCD arriving Nov 1843 aged 20 so born abt 1823 father alive in 1843 but named Thomas (Generosus) a Gent, Esq not a Medic. So who is this Thomas Constable Esq father of John Nicholson...???
What's the article Constable v Constable about?

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 May 16 18:44 BST (UK) »
Did William marry Hannah Hackett at Ballynakill Church August 1836?
Hanes you may be correct about a marriage to Hanna Hackett. Hannah S Constable and Hannah Hackett are surely the same person who owned 166 acres in the 1870's. I also believe William who owned 301 acres of land in the 1870's is her husband William. We have also  Rev John Nicholson Constable in Mayo in the 1870's with 244 acres and this must be the John Nicholson who attended TCD in 1843.....the web is growing. John Nicholson was the son of Robert Constable Esq - so not Robert C Senior or Junior both were Medics both dead by 1843. Yet Ann Lanphier married a Robert Constable MD in 1806 - so which one.. I need to lie down now

Pedude

Deceased Surname      Constable
Deceased Forename      Louisa F
Primary Beneficiary/Executor   Hannah S Constable
Date of Death         12 Apr 1892
Place of Death         Clonmel Tipperary

Major landowners in Co. Tipperary in the latter part of the 1870s:
64. Mrs. Hannah Constable, address 4, Anne-st., Clonmel, owned 166 acres.
65. Rev. John N. Constable, address Belmullet, Co. Mayo, owned 244 acres.
66. William Constable, address Clonmel, owned 301 acres.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 May 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
The Belfast Commercial Chronicle,17 May 1806 reported the marriage, at Thurles, of Robert Constable, Esq, M.D. to Miss Lanphier, eldest daughter of Thomas Lanphier of Parkstown, Esq

The reference of MD in this newspaper announcement would indicate that Ann Lanphier married Robert Constable the doctor in Tipperary rather than any other person

compounded by "At Lawlestown, near Clonmel, Mrs Constable, wife of Robert Constable, Esq, M.D" -previously referenced from Saunders News Letter 24 Oct 1809 also referring to MD or doctor

I hadn't seen "the Dublin Evening Mail, 24 Jun 1842 headed "Constable v Constable"?" hanes teulu
If I get a chance I will but family commitments this weekend will have to take precedent!!

Further generations: