Author Topic: Argues of Castleterra,Cavan  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Argues of Castleterra,Cavan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 March 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kimberley
Thanks for contacting me.

I am trying to link my 2nd great grandfather John Argue of Solina Ontario to your George of Stittsville.
I think that John's father was James 1759-1837 and that he was a brother of Thomas 1750-1840 and that Thomas is George's father. That would make John and George first cousins and their grandparents
Thomas Argue 1725-1762 and Mary Smothergill 1730-1767.
I have no documentation for this connection and am just going by other family trees. So I'm hoping someone can confirm this connection for me.
Thanks for any help
Rodger

Offline kimberleyscottwindsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 March 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
hi!
i shall check my papers and get right back to you.
Cheers!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 March 19 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rodger,
I have these Argues  from Carp not Stittsville.   I am also related to the Stittsville Argues.  Im pretty certain i have photos of tombstones i took.
I have Thomas Jr Argue married Mary Smothergill c. 1749.  She was daughter of George Smothergill.
THomas Jr. was a Blacksmith in 1768 and resided in Ballyhaise, County Cavan, Ireland in 1780
One of their children was James with same dates you listed. he died in Crossfarth, Castleterra, Ireland. age 78

Now Thomas from Carp married Anne Argue from Stittsville. c. 1824  Both were born 1803 in County Cavan. Her father also named George.  Thomas was born 1792 Castleterra, Cavan, Ireland and died April 18, 1871 in  HUntley township  (Carp)Ontario .  His parents were George 1762 -1842 and Anne Patterson.  They resided at Lot 15 con. 4 in Huntley Twnshp c. 1825

Anne Argue from Stittsville parents were George Argue  and Mary Wilson who came to canada c. 1821/24 from Drung, County Cavan

Thomas on Aug. 23/1820 was allotted 100 acres con. 4 lot 15 huntley twnshp.  He came to Canada in  1819

Convoluted eh?    Thomas, son of George Argue and Ann Patterson, is from Carp clan.
Ann Argue is daughter of George Argue and Mary Wilson  from Stittsville clan.   

Looks like , perhaps your line starts in Carp and marries into Stittsville?   Same as mine.
I bet this is a confusing read.  I apologize.  Im scrambling to knock it out quickly for you.  Any questions, ask away!!!!

Cheers!
Kimberley

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 March 19 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 March 19 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Rodger,
If you cant make heads nor tails of my message,
Perhaps I can scan the papers and email them to you????
we have george, thomas, ann, etc on BOTH the carp and the stittsville sides.  My brain hurts too.

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 March 19 23:21 GMT (UK) »
The more I learn the less I know.
I believe  John Argue's father was James 1759-1837 and James siblings were George 1755-1809 and Thomas 1750-1840.
I also believe James and his wife had sons John and James 1803-1875 and a daughter Jane 1807-?
John is the only one that I can trace to Canada and when and where he first came I don't know but lived most of his life in Solina Ontatio with his wife Mary Stevens who was one of George Stevens 27 children.(thats been fun researching all of them)
I believe that James is tied to the Stittsvile Argue's through Thomas and Mary Smothersgill.
Do you know if George Argue husband of Anne Patterson and George Argue husband of Mary Wilson are related other than through the marriage of their children Anne and Thomas?

I was in the Stittsville Cemetery a few years ago and took pictures of all the Argue stones that I could see not knowing then if there was a connection to me.

::)

Offline JSmith84UK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Argues of Castleterra, Cavan
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 07:20 BST (UK) »
My 3xG Grandfather, John Argue lived in Fairtown, Clonervy, Castleterra from around 1860 until he passed away in 1876.

He married Ellen Noon and had at least 5 children. 

Ellen (my 2xG Grandmother)
Susan
Mary
James
John

He may or may not be connected to your family history as I’m led to believe that John and his ancestors lived in Fairtown for some considerable amount of time.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 09:30 BST (UK) »

…John Argue lived in Fairtown, Clonervy, Castleterra from around 1860 until he passed away in 1876.

Clonervy townland in the civil parish of Castleterra.
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/loughtee-upper/castleterra/clonervy/clonervy/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5745428#map=12/53.9999/-7.2826

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo