Author Topic: Elizabeth Griffiths born Bangor, around 1809. Died a Henshaw in 1859.  (Read 3456 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello there.
I am looking please for who this ladies parents may have been. She was one of my 4x Great Grandma's. Elizabeth Married William Henshaw on 23rd of December 1835 in Stockport. I looked on the British newspaper Archive website, and found an entry for the Marriage of William, and Elizabeth. It was from "The Manchester Times" dated 26th of December 1835. All it said about Elizabeth on there was that she was: "Of Bramhall", which is a place near Stockport. So she must have left Wales long before the Marriage. The 1851 Census has her birth date down as 1809. The place of birth is down on the Census as Bangor, Caernarvonshire. She died on 22nd of September 1859. On Family search her age is down as being 51 years when Elizabeth died.
When I do a look up on Family Search, I find many in the area of Bangor for Griffith, and a few for Griffiths. One Elizabeth Griffiths, I found was baptised around 1809 at Ebenezer Independent, Bangor. But the problem is, that it is such a common name, and many places at that time could count as being in Bangor. :) I just wander if anyone else on here has the same person in their family tree, who could verify who her parents were please? 
It would be nice to pinpoint it down better.
Thank you very much.  ;)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Griffiths born Bangor, around 1809. Died a Henshaw in 1859.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this is of any help but Findmypast has a copy of the register for Elizabeth's marriage.

It also has images of the baptisms for Elizabeth Griffiths (or Morris) and, who I assume to be her siblings, Humphrey in 1803 and Serai in 1814. Their subsequent surnames could have been either Griffith(s) or Morris.

Of particular interest might be a memorial inscription for William, Elizabeth and five of her children. Unfortunately, we are not supposed to publish the details on this site but might be worth a look, if you can gain access.

David

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 16 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. That's interesting. It is the first time I have known that somebody's subsequent surname, may have been the Christian name of one of their parents.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this is of any help but Findmypast has a copy of the register for Elizabeth's marriage.

It also has images of the baptisms for Elizabeth Griffiths (or Morris) and, who I assume to be her siblings, Humphrey in 1803 and Serai in 1814. Their subsequent surnames could have been either Griffith(s) or Morris.

Of particular interest might be a memorial inscription for William, Elizabeth and five of her children. Unfortunately, we are not supposed to publish the details on this site but might be worth a look, if you can gain access.

David
Thank you.  :)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 16:01 BST (UK) »
In Wales at that time there was a system of Patronymic Surnames sometimes used based on the father's first name being used as a surname, this was before families used fixed surnames. So with Elizabeth's father being Griffith Morris she would be known as Elizabeth Griffith. There are two records for Elizabeth on Family Search one with the surname Griffiths and one Morris both the baptism dates are the same 11/2/1809 Bangor.
There is a record for a Griffith Morris burial in 3/4/1833 age 37 born 1785, Abode, Coetmor in the Parish of Llanllechid, Caernarvonshire. Llanllechid is not far from Bangor so this could possibly be Elizabeth's father. The mother was named as Ann and siblings Sarah Baptised 29/11/1814 and Humphrie Baptised 11/9/1803 both Bangor.

Ellen

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 08:49 BST (UK) »
In Wales at that time there was a system of Patronymic Surnames sometimes used based on the father's first name being used as a surname, this was before families used fixed surnames. So with Elizabeth's father being Griffith Morris she would be known as Elizabeth Griffith. There are two records for Elizabeth on Family Search one with the surname Griffiths and one Morris both the baptism dates are the same 11/2/1809 Bangor.
There is a record for a Griffith Morris burial in 3/4/1833 age 37 born 1785, Abode, Coetmor in the Parish of Llanllechid, Caernarvonshire. Llanllechid is not far from Bangor so this could possibly be Elizabeth's father. The mother was named as Ann and siblings Sarah Baptised 29/11/1814 and Humphrie Baptised 11/9/1803 both Bangor.

Ellen

Thank you very much for this. :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 20:34 BST (UK) »

Ellen

Thank you very much for this. :) ;)
Where did you find the burial record for Griffith Morris please? I couldn't find that on Family Search. :)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 May 16 13:54 BST (UK) »
I found it on Family Search 2, then clicked on the link to Find My Past.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 May 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are you sure that this is the right Griffith Morris? I can't see the record details, but if he died in 1833 age 37, he was born around 1795/6. The first born Humphrey was in 1803 - this doesn't seem to tie in.

Alan