Author Topic: Wood & Sons Co. Bedlington Station Deane House  (Read 11823 times)

Offline RobertWood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wood & Sons Co. Bedlington Station Deane House
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 29 July 23 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all - I'm new to the site so thank you for bearing with me! I have been reading with great interest your various posts concerning Wood & Sons, Deane House, Bedlington and Furnace Road.

I am another Wood descendant (hi extended fam!) living in the UK and J.W.Wood who founded the factory was my Great Great Grandfather, through his son William Henry Wood, then his son H. Sydney Wood, then his son W.H.L.Wood ('Harry') who is my father.

My father is alive and was the last managing director of Wood & Watson Ltd which was the 'other' soft drinks factory set-up by William Henry Wood in the 1890s. We lived in Gilesgate, Durham close to the factory.

I'd be keen to find out more about my extended family ancestry, and particularly from anyone who has had a go at collating an extended family tree? I was surprised to read that J.W.Wood had 9 children and started to realise the scale of the task! Thanks for your feedback.

Offline RobertWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 29 July 23 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi PLZA9012 - please see my previous post! Sorry I don't know your name but you seem to have a pretty comprehensive picture of the J.W.Wood family tree!

Is there any more information that you could provide to me about the family tree and about the establishment of Wood & Watson Ltd in the 1890s? Any snippets might be useful.

Best regards

Offline RobertWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 29 July 23 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathryn - nice to meet you online! My father Harry was the person who showed you around his factory Wood & Watson in Gilesgate in 1983 - I hope that you had a nice tour! I remember many school holidays spent helping to mix the syrup that was the base for the Wood & Watson classics like Woods Lemonade, Ice Cream Soda, Cracka Cola and of course the local favourite Watcheer (often mis-spelt!). My father eventually sold the brand and the factory in 1996 and the site is now a housing development. Most of my family subsequently moved to the south of England.

Would you have any more information on your own family tree which I assume gets to J.W.Wood through his son John? Kind regards

Offline RobertWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 29 July 23 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Woodbutler - nice to meet you online! We both share William Henry ('Harry') Woods in our ancestry, although sadly different ones! I understand from your posts that your grandfather was Harry Wood, son of Lancelot Wood, son of J.W.Wood who founded the business. My great-grandfather was William Henry Wood, also son of J.W.Wood, who co-founded the Wood & Watson soft drinks business in Gilesgate Durham in the 1890s. Would you have any further information on the family tree, and also on the history of the different mineral water businesses. I haven't yet fully worked out why my great-grandfather decided to move away from the Bedlington business and set-up with his partner in Gilesgate, Durham although I know that the presence of a mineral water spring was a factor. Thanks and kind regards. 

Offline PLZA9012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry - although I've heard of Wood & Watson and know that there was a family connection, it's only the family that remained in Bedlington that I have some knowledge of.  Good luck with your search, though!

Offline AngelaDavidson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 15 February 24 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just started to research my family & it appears my Great Grandmother Edith Davidson (nee Watson) was related to the Watson side of Wood & Watson.
I'm in early stages but here is what I have so far & any information on the Watsons would be really appreciated as this part of our family is a bit difficult to trace.
She was born in Durham in 1882, to John & mother unknow at the min.
I am aware of the following siblings (1901 Census), Robert (1874), John (1876), Jane (1878), Sarah (1881), Margaret (1885).
So I assume either Robert or John married a Wood, it would be nice to be able to dig a bit further.  Many thanks in advance for any help.