Author Topic: 1821 Census McDonald Forkill, Armagh  (Read 3850 times)

Offline markmcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1821 Census McDonald Forkill, Armagh
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 January 20 02:29 GMT (UK) »
In my search for a Daniel McDonald and his parents, I have found a McDonald family, with a son Daniel in the 1821 Ireland census. The family lived in Aughanduff, Forkill, Armagh. Daniel's age is right for the person I am searching for, but the head of the house is down as "widow Owen McDonald" aged 52. Am I right in thinking that this means that the mother was the widow of Owen McDonald?

Eric

Hi Eric,

I've traced a few of the descendants of the Owen McDonnell (or McDonald) from Aughanduff in the 1821 Forkhill census. I hadn't seen any mention of what (could have) became of his son Daniel until I saw this post.

The eldest was Patrick (born 1793) who I speculate is most likely the same person mentioned in the 1813-20 Freeholder register. His family had the largest McDonnell estate in Aughanduff. and only one family is mentioned - his being the only family with a named 'Patrick' iirc. Patrick stayed in Aughanduff and his family remained in the townland for generations, well into the period where documentation gets good.

The next Daniel (born 1800) I have no idea what became of. Perhaps he is the Daniel you sought?

The next Anne (born 1801) again, I have no idea what became of.

The final child John (born 1812) much like Patrick stayed in Aughanduff and had a large family.

What lead you to consider this Daniel McDonnell as a potential lead in your search? It's unlikely (but not impossible) this Daniel would pop up in Aghagallon as it's very far away from Aughanduff. So far as I'm aware, people rarely left moved out of their general local communities unless they were emigrating abroad.

Did you find any more information on your search?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 January 20 11:14 GMT (UK) »
There's more than one Aghagallon in Ireland.
Aughanduff to Aghagallon, Co. Antrim about 30 miles according to Google Maps.

There is a Mary McDonald, age 60, born Co. Armagh, in Aghagallon D.E.D. in 1901-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Aghagallon/Drumaleet/1002529/

Another Aghagallon in Co. Tyrone, just outside Omagh, which is further away.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/east-omagh/cappagh-east-omagh-portion/aghagallon/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline markmcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 January 20 12:37 GMT (UK) »
There's more than one Aghagallon in Ireland.
Aughanduff to Aghagallon, Co. Antrim about 30 miles according to Google Maps.

Another Aghagallon in Co. Tyrone, just outside Omagh, which is further away.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/east-omagh/cappagh-east-omagh-portion/aghagallon/

It may be true that there is more than one Aghagallon, and in modern period it may be easy to travel to any of these locations from Aughanduff. However, it's extremely unlikely (although admittedly not impossible) that the McDonalds in this Antrim Aghagallon (or Tyrone for that matter) are descended from those in Aughanduff.

McDonnell and McDonald are both very common common names throughout Ireland. Take a look at John Grenham's mappings of both as renters in 1864.
https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=McDonald
https://www.johngrenham.com/findasurname.php?surname=McDonnell

Occam's razor (with no evidence to the contrary) would suggest these Aghagallon McDonalds belong to one of the many other branches of that family.

If there were some DNA matches to Aughanduff McDonnells alongside historical records linking that DNA descendant to these Aghagallon McDonalds, that could explain a link.

There is a Mary McDonald, age 60, born Co. Armagh, in Aghagallon D.E.D. in 1901-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Aghagallon/Drumaleet/1002529/

That lady is also a widow and as such would not be 'McDonald' by her own name. Her dead husband was most likely from Antrim all things considered.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 January 20 19:54 GMT (UK) »
That lady is also a widow and as such would not be 'McDonald' by her own name. Her dead husband was most likely from Antrim all things considered.
There's an equal chance that her husband was also from Armagh. In any case, there are other people in the same DED born in Armagh so such a migration is not impossible.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 February 20 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello All--
The original hand-written volume containing the 1821 Census is held by PRONI.
I know - I handed it in to them!
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hamlets. thank you on behalf of many for lodging the Forkhill Tithe Applotment Book with PRONI  Can you tell us briefly how that came about ?
I read somewhere  PRONI holds the tithe books for all but 31 of the 273 NI parishes, so how you acquired yours is of interest. some NI civil parishes are marked by the Irish Genealogy Hub as not surveyed, or possibly included in neighbouring parishes.  PRONI is currently doing some updating that will result hopefully more online availability from them including a surname index.
From the Irish Genealogy Hub index coverage of the 6 counties civil parish indexs for Forkhill, I found two similar surname entries in Forkhill not listed in the 1821 census so the thanks is sincere.
You have raised the question are other original TABS still in private hands? Any thoughts?
Good luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide