Author Topic: Half a day in Johannesburg.  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
Half a day in Johannesburg.
« on: Friday 20 May 16 00:20 BST (UK) »
Looking for suggestions.

I have been blessed with a short-notice free trip to Johannesburg next week. I will have a half-day free to do as I please on Saturday morning before my plane leaves to fly back (I'm based in the UK) so I am looking for any suggestions as to places to visit.

My great grandfather Joseph Caswell died in Durban in 1898 and was recorded as "Underground Manager" of the Randfontein gold mine at that time. I have a great deal of data on Joseph from the SA archives concerning his death but little about his life before that.

One of the documents in the archives was a letter from the Freemasons stating that he was a member, are there any membership archives searchable?

Joseph's elder son John (my grandfather's elder brother by 10 years) was also in the country as he fought in the Boer war (with the Bethunes - I have that). He witnessed his father's death certificate and inherited a small sum. He lived in Boston, Natal and died in Pietermaritzburg in 1906. There is some peripheral data on him in the archives - I have that too.

John married Lilian Sarah Howard in 1901 but had no children. After he died I believe she remarried (1908) a Herbert Edward Mingay.

These are, I believe, the most Johannesburg/South Africa relevant details of Joseph and John that I can think of. Do ask if you need more - but ask soon, I fly out day after tomorrow. I expect to be able to visit here during the week.

I am hoping for some ideas on where to go to help my research, or even feel a little of his life.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Half a day in Johannesburg.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
Freemason records are retained in England. Read this link http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/freemason-records/205/ funnily enough my grandfather was a Mason in Vryheid Natal. Also https://www.enca.com/technology/freemason-membership-records-spanning-190-years-go-online
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 16 08:22 BST (UK) »

You could try this if you have the time..

http://www.gauteng.net/attractions/kromdraai_gold_mine/

It situated in the Cradle of Human Kind World Heritage Site, about 40 mins from JHB.,

Half a day is not much time as most interesting attractions are outside of the city
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 May 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll see how much time I have when the day comes.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright