Author Topic: Rev. Robert Hogg of Roxburgh  (Read 8174 times)

Offline STEVE6423

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Robert Hogg of Roxburgh
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 22 April 23 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Tomhutton and DudelsackHogg
I have found your threads regarding the Hoggs in Roxburgh. I am descended from the Janet Leggat nee Hogg the sister of Thomas Hogg of Roxburgh who was tried for murder in 1851.
The wealth of information you have unearthed about the Hog/Hogg family is amazing and it has been an absolute pleasure to read it.
I started my research in 1989 but got stuck at my 4xGtGrandmother Janet Leggat (mother Hogg) as her married life was all in Edinburgh but she died before the 1851 census could tell me where she originated from. Traces of her husband and children pretty much disappear by 1851. It was only fairly recently when I found what I thought might be her daughter Elizabeth Leggat on her own age 12 in the 1851 census at The Boathouse at Roxburgh and that she was still there in 1861 under her married name Laing that progress was made. Last week I happened to check who else lived at The Boathouse in 1861 to find Thomas Hogg and then the whole line has just opened with all the info in ScotlandsPeople for this parish and all that great info you and other contributors have added on this website.
I am still piecing together my Hog/Hogg line and so far have got back to 4.7.1694 at Roxburgh when William Hog and Bessie Jameson married as I seem to descend from one of their children. I can see there are more Hog/Hoggs further back too in the parish records, stones in the churchyard etc. I hope to make some further progress here as there seem to be some potentially very interesting links for the family further back according to this thread.
I can see that you mention three Hog/Hogg Wills in the late 1600s - Robert 1683, John 1698 and Alexander 1687. Would it be possible for you to upload links to them if you have them so I can check their contents? I can see them in the ScotlandsPeople so can access them there if need be. I understand they may be difficult reading but other lines of mine have included Wills in the 17th and 16th Centuries so that is something I should be okay with - perhaps I can share my transcripts of them back to you if that would assist you.
Anyway….enough for now. Keep up the good work.
All the best
Steve

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 24 April 23 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I am very happy to share the documents and certificates I’ve collected. I’ll send you a pm. I think you may have to post some more to be able to respond privately.

Were you able to confirm Janet and Thomas’s grandfather Hendrie is the son of William Hog and Bessie Jamison?

There are two surviving records for a Hendrie that fit:
HOG HENDRIE
WILLIAM HOG/ELIZABETH OGLE FR121 (FR121) M  19/07/1719
10 / 196
ROXBURGH

And:

HOG HENDRIE
WILLIAM HOG/BESSIE JAMISON FR132 (FR132) M 12/04/1724
10 / 207

I never found anything to back up either.

Offline STEVE6423

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 06 May 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have had the same question as to which Hendry Hog married Margaret Hog in Roxburgh in 1747 - the one bapt 1719 or 1724. I think it is the latter as I have been through the Roxburgh Kirk Sessions which has lists of communicants for many consecutive years in this period which show family groupings and the years in which children reach an age to be listed by name. I have checked 1722, 1723, 1724, 1725, 1730, 1731, 1736, 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, 1746 and 1753. Hendrie first appears in 1743 with or near his likely elder brother Alex+wife at Newtoune. He is not in the 1744 list and is in the 1745 list but not adjacent to other useful names. However in the 1746 list Hendry Hog is immediately named under William Hog, Bessie Jamieson and John Hog at Nether Roxburgh, so these are very likely his parents and his next oldest brother John. By 1753 he is listed as Henry Hogg and wife but now in Hietoune separate from John Hogg and Bessie Jameson who are still next to each other in Nether Roxburgh, William presumably having died.
The other family that had a Hendrie Hog bapt in 1719 don’t seem to appear in the lists at all so perhaps they moved elsewhere.
These lists are a good way of following the Hog families, not just William/Bessie Jamieson but Alexander/Bessie (Mein) too with the children of both appearing with them pretty much in the order that they are baptised in the parish register. From these records it looks very likely that Alex Hog who married Vair Hog in 1724 was the son of William and Bessie (Jamieson), Vair being the daughter of Alexander and Bessie (Mein).
The line looks a bit shakier further back as there are 3 Williams bapt in the town between 1660 and 1675 so I am hoping those Wills referred to might have a clue.
Thanks for the offer of a PM but I don't know what a PM is….or where it would appear (you are right - this is only my 2nd posting).
Regards.  Steve.

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 10 May 23 10:26 BST (UK) »
A PM is a personal message. There is a link on the rootschat homepage at the top of the page next to your username which should display any personal messages. You can also click on my messages and it will direct you to your rootschat inbox. I sent you a message with my email address so that I could forward you documents.

I like the reasoning and your thought process of Henry’s parents and think it’s a quite logical conclusion. I do remember seeing a Henry in the list of communicants. I need to revisit those Kirk Sessions with fresh eyes as it’s been a while since I last looked at them.

The Vair name does appear to come into the Hogg line from Vair Ker - the daughter of Sir Thomas Kerr. It’s possible to follow this line quite far back. 

Attaching an extract of the Landed Gentry:

For your info (and anyone else following) the Scotland’s People indexing of the wills mentioned previously is as follows:

HOGE, JOHN
22 / 11 / 1698
PORTIONER IN ROXBURGH
TESTAMENT DATIVE AND INVENTORY
PEEBLES COMMISSARY COURT
CC18/3/1

HOG, ROB[E]RT
2 / 2 / 1683
PORTIONER OF ROXBURGH
TESTAMENT DATIVE AND INVENTORY
PEEBLES COMMISSARY COURT
CC18/3/1

HOGG, ALEXANDER
29 / 4 / 1687
IN NEWTOUNE
TESTAMENT TESTAMENTAR AND INVENTORY
PEEBLES COMMISSARY COURT
CC18/3/1

Offline Tomhutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 11 May 23 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for reviving this thread. I find it interesting and informative.   :)