Author Topic: Looking for information on James Sloan, born Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland in 1846  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on James Sloan, born Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland in 1846
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 May 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Interesting. That would have had her born a bit earlier than I thought. I can't recall if I found a child just a bit older (1-2) in the British 1871 census, but I will take another look. I have asked my cousin in Belfast whether Frances' mother's first name was on the marriage certificate. I have not heard back as yet. I looked for a record of the earlier marriage of John McIlroy in both the Irish and British marriage records (bracketing between 1882 - when he would have been 18 and 1891 when as a widower he married Frances) - but I didn't find a likely earlier marriage. Thanks again for your help.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Datha - thanks again for your efforts. I will see if I can whittle the number of possible marriages if I can cross reference them with other records that also indicate the religion of the couple. In the past, members of this family typically identified as Church of Ireland or Presbyterian. In the 1901 census John McIlroy lists Irish Church under "Religious Profession". I think I had looked at some of these but thought the religion didn't line up.

Offline Bill Sloan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello dathai - just thought I would let you know that the Dewar link you pointed me to on MyHeritage turned out to be very useful. The individual that posted that information maintains a extensive family tree that includes the Dewar family. We have been passing information and photos back and forth. Thanks again for pointing me in that direction. I have not gotten very far with the McIlroy or Coates lines. It has been difficult to pin down whether I have the correct person in the records. I have a cousin in Belfast that is trying to sort this out, but there don't appear to be many family documents to get these searches started down the right track. A work in progress.