Author Topic: 1 Rowton House, Kings Cross Rd, St Pancras  (Read 2122 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1 Rowton House, Kings Cross Rd, St Pancras
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:14 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's 3rd wife was Florence Constance Colsell (b c1896)- he was a bit of a mystery, and I know nothing of the Colsells. Trying to find Florence's siblings on the 1939 register. I found brother Edward (Edwin?) at the above address - his dob (1886) and occupation (GPO storekeeper) prove it's the right man, but the address puzzles me. Rowton House seems to be some sort of institution - Edward is shown as married, but no wife listed. Also, he's described as 'inmate' - the record doesn't say whether it's some sort of hospital/prison, or whatever, and wonder if anyone has any knowledge about it.
Thanks for any help.
Lesley

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Rowton House, Kings Cross Rd, St Pancras
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's 3rd wife was Florence Constance Colsell (b c1896)

Was she not Florence Christine Colsell, born 22 August 1895, baptised together with siblings Violet Annie and Lawrence Ernest at St Marylebone on 3 June 1900? 

Parents: Edwin Alfred (painter) and Frances Harriet, of 235 Ossington Buildings.

Married (1) William F Bushnell, Sep qtr 1916 Paddington; (2) Ernest W Rink, Mar qtr 1950 Marylebone.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
Very interesting and not what I expected! Thank you for your help. Lesley

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry Avm - I was posting my last reply before I saw your message. You have the right person. I have my grandfather's marriage cert which gives his wife's name as Florence Constance Bushnell, the divorced wife of William Frederick Bushnell. Her father was Edwin Alfred Colsell. However, as my grandfather changed the name of his own father on this certificate it's not impossible that he changed his wife's name too!! I've been researching his family without success for many years, but haven't paid any attention to his 2nd and 3rd wives. Decided to spend a bit of time looking at their families to see if by chance there are some clues that I've missed. So am very grateful for all help. Thank you both.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
MAybe useful?

Probate Index entry

Edwin Alfred John Colsell otherwise Edwin Alfred of 45 Bempton Drive Ruislip Manor Middlesex died 13 April 1962 Probate to Alfred James Stanley William Baldwin Accountant
Effects £374 - 1s
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk