Author Topic: Just one sentence in Will  (Read 513 times)

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
Just one sentence in Will
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 20:09 BST (UK) »
This 1825 will is discussing that the trustees and executors shall have full

"power and control over it and educate and bring up my children in such way as my property will buy(???). … … it will be my …but bring them up to plain habits of industry."

It is the style of this Testator that random words have dots after them, so a dot is not necessarily punctuation. I am not totally convinced of the word "buy", I think it may be another word that links into the two following words. I think the last of my indecipherable words might be "insufficient".

Extract attached, I hope one of you might be able to join up those dots!

Hilary
HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Just one sentence in Will
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
I think maybe it is

"in such way as my property will but suffice....."

and maybe

"I fear it will be ..... insufficient...."
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
Re: Just one sentence in Will
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you :)

The first part, certainly, "but suffice" and explains the crossing on the last letter of but.

The second half is reasonable, but this guy seems to have sufficient property, his will was proved at less than £300 in 1825, but I wasn't there at the time, and looking at it again, I think you are right and it might actually say

"I fear it will be very insufficient".

Thank you once again :) :) :)
HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON