Author Topic: Irish migration to Lancashire  (Read 20295 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish migration to Lancashire
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 June 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
Well hurworth we are all different

Never a truer word was said. 

You could let this fester and eat away for quite some time.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 June 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a better phrase could have been used, we are on RootsChat, so obviously interested in our families and their past, nothing to do with them seems "old junk" to us.
That I thought she may be pleased to have info about her father`s childhood, willing to send photos etc shows I`m not really letting it fester,Iwas not annoyed with anyone until her brusque
uncaring reply.
Those children would have been separated in an orphanage /workhouse had my ancestors not taken them in.It was done willingly and in the face of religious differences.

Sometimes a little white lie is the kinder, more polite action.
I`ll let you have the last word.Viktoria.

Offline Glassofmilk100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for all the answers, and stories about different towns and their Irish history!

It goes without saying that it seems Liverpool and Manchester had a lot of Irish migration. I guess you could say I'm getting curious about anywhere else in Lancashire that did, the towns that don't get mentioned so often. If anyone's got any knowledge or stories of any place, would be great to hear.

I'll try something a bit different. Here's a list of places that, from what I've gathered, still have a lot of people of Irish descent to this day, in (ancient) Lancashire. If anyone can add somewhere significant to this list that I've not said with a lot of Irish links, that would be great.

Liverpool + all the surrounding towns (Huyton, Kirkby, Bootle, Skelmersdale, etc.)
Widnes
Heywood
Bolton
Irlam
Salford
Prestwich
St. Helens
Preston
Rawtenstall
Droylsden

Census records for whatever period is of interest will show Ireland as birthplace of those born there.
https://familysearch.org/search/

Again, sorry if I'm sounding like I've missed something basic here, but I can't find exactly what you put in to bring up a list of Irish from a certain place, living in a certain Lancashire town. I tried putting Ireland as the birthplace and then Lancashire in state or province, but this seems to bring up a mixed bag of people who were born in Ireland and born in Lancashire.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 19:30 BST (UK) »
BIRKENHEAD   and Cheshire as well.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
Lots of Irish settled in Wigan also  ;)

Census records for whatever period is of interest will show Ireland as birthplace of those born there.
https://familysearch.org/search/
Again, sorry if I'm sounding like I've missed something basic here, but I can't find exactly what you put in to bring up a list of Irish from a certain place, living in a certain Lancashire town. I tried putting Ireland as the birthplace and then Lancashire in state or province, but this seems to bring up a mixed bag of people who were born in Ireland and born in Lancashire.

Not sure what site you are using but pick a census, put in Ireland as (exact) place of birth) then put in Lancashire as residence (or select a particular place in the county to narrow down the results).
Will work in Family Search or Ancestry and probably Find My Past as well.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
I was going to say Birkenhead and Bootle but I think you're covering them with Liverpool. Someone on local radio here the other week said Irish people settled in many places in this country and assimilated but Liverpool (or Merseyside) was different it was the only place that was "Hibernian-ised". I think there's some truth in this but I also think Liverpool's character was different to other places before the waves of Irish migration and was perhaps more receptive to Irish influences than most places. Liverpool was a fiercely individualistic sea port and was known to give press gangs a tough time! Liverpool seamen burnt down the pubs that the press-gang men used as bases for impressment. People were killed on both sides:-

Impressment in Liverpool

Navy recruiting officer Captain Fortescue wrote: "There is not a seaport in England where a man fights so much uphill to carry on the impress service as Liverpool."

It was this ongoing tension between the press-gang and the town's seafaring community that helped forge Liverpool's spirit of rebelliousness and defiance. Indeed, Liverpool's fierce resistance to impressment gave it a reputation as one of the most brutal ports in the country. From 1739 to 1805 there were 66 violent incidents directed against the press-gang and it's allies.

- The Liverpool Underworld by Michael Macilwee

Blue

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for all the answers, and stories about different towns and their Irish history!

It goes without saying that it seems Liverpool and Manchester had a lot of Irish migration. I guess you could say I'm getting curious about anywhere else in Lancashire that did, the towns that don't get mentioned so often. If anyone's got any knowledge or stories of any place, would be great to hear.

I'll try something a bit different. Here's a list of places that, from what I've gathered, still have a lot of people of Irish descent to this day, in (ancient) Lancashire. If anyone can add somewhere significant to this list that I've not said with a lot of Irish links, that would be great.

Liverpool + all the surrounding towns (Huyton, Kirkby, Bootle, Skelmersdale, etc.)
Widnes
Heywood
Bolton
Irlam
Salford
Prestwich
St. Helens
Preston
Rawtenstall
Droylsden

I am curious as you seem to have a broad area of research.
Are you trying to look at Irish immigration to the whole of Lancashire? What period are you interested in?
Are you looking at families who have remained in certain areas as you mention people of Irish descent still living in various places. Where have you 'gathered' that information from?
Aghadowey has mentioned how to find the census information. That should work.
Please let us know if it does and then how you want to follow it up.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 20:22 BST (UK) »
Census records will only give you those people born in Ireland, not people of Irish descent.

Two of my Great-Grandparents were born in Ireland, all of their children were born in England.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
Census records will only give you those people born in Ireland, not people of Irish descent.

Two of my Great-Grandparents were born in Ireland, all of their children were born in England.

Glassofmilk has mentioned both. It's such a wide area to research.

What kind of Irish links? Do you mean: do they still identify as Irish in terms of culture or identity?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk