Author Topic: Billinghurst, Sussex and other questions  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Billinghurst, Sussex and other questions
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 May 16 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

The SFHG do a really good map of all the parish boundaries - I find it useful even though I still live in exactly the same part of Sussex my maternal ancestors have lived in for several hundred years.  It makes it quick and easy to see whether parishes border each other and also if someone getting buried in a parish but living somewhere else makes sense if you see what I mean.  My map is now in several bits from overuse and sits on my desk constantly!

Are you a member of the http://www.sfhg.org.uk?  Definitely worthwhile if you are researching in Sussex!

If you like I'll send you one of the maps - I can pick one up down at The Keep (ESRO) next week - it's just an A3 piece of card folded to A5.  I'll PM you.  8)

Liz

PS I also use Google all the time for other parts of the country to see what places look like and how far it is from place to place!
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 May 16 00:28 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Try this one, shows all the places you named. It's a route planner so reorders what you put in to give quickest route.

https://www.speedyroute.com/

John915

PS Won't let me copy and paste a completed route. If you choose say Billingshurst as a start point then add in the others. You can click on the box at bottom left to add more locations. Then click on choose route it will give you all the locations you want on one map albeit with a route to follow.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 04:19 BST (UK) »
This 1840 map might be helpful http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/geo/research/historical/webmap/sussexmap/moulelarge.htm

Thank you Shaun, now I have some idea, some of the villages I am looking for must have been very small
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson