Author Topic: Help to find my Irish ancestors  (Read 1456 times)

Offline fiona kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help to find my Irish ancestors
« on: Saturday 28 May 16 23:53 BST (UK) »
So I dug out all my old family tree records again, hit a brick wall a few years back and it did indeed defeat me  >:( Has anyone any suggestions on how to find a marriage record from 1843 in Ireland, I have searched every birth certificate of the couple in question of the children they have had, and always just states Ireland with no town name. The names of the couple vary, sometimes its Cecelia or Cecily or Sarah, her maiden name varies also from Mcloughlin, Mclachlan, Mclaughlin. Her husbands name varies from Daniel to Donald Kelly also. I cannot obtain a birth certificate for either or a marriage certificate. I know Daniels parents were John Kelly & Ellen Devlin or Devine which I am also unable to find anything about and Cecelia/Cecily/Sarah's parents were Michael McLaughlin  and Elizabeth Houten/heston. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....feel like giving up....again!  ???
KELLY COLLINS DEVLIN HOUSTEN MCLOUGHLIN FAULKNER<br /><br /><br /> PORT GLASGOW SCOTLAND IRELAND
McDOUGALL GREENOCK
SHERIFF PERTH & BRIDGE OF ALLAN STIRLING
SAVAGE ANTRIM

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find my Irish ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 16 02:26 BST (UK) »
It would be an Old Parish record, as Civil Registration didn't begin until 1845 in Ireland.

Someone with a bit more knowledge of Irish Parish records may be better able to help you than I.

There have been a good number of Irish Catholic OPRS released fairly recently, but again I'm not familiar with those as I need Church of Ireland Protestant records, which I can't find either, but again, someone else may be able to assist you.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 16 05:25 BST (UK) »
Fiona,

Depends where in Ireland... if its NI you will need PRONI

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/proni
Take a look at this site if for Ireland

http://registers.nli.ie/

It helps if you know what County and Parish your family were from, also close dates..
This site you need plenty of Patience...I have a exercise book and not what years I have looked at note the years and jot down all with the surnames that link to my surnames.

Good luck

Yonks

Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
Findmypast.ie has indexed the catholic parish records from the NLI which makes it a lot easier to search. You could try the various combinations of surnames and first names without having to specify a parish and see what you can find. The findmypast search of the parish records is free though I think you have to register on the site.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline fiona kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, I have no idea what county or parish  as records of the parents have just stated they were married in Ireland 1843, I have 2 children born in Ireland and am unable to trace where abouts they were born also.....sigh! Ive took a note of the websites everyone has suggested and will check them out. Thank you :=)
KELLY COLLINS DEVLIN HOUSTEN MCLOUGHLIN FAULKNER<br /><br /><br /> PORT GLASGOW SCOTLAND IRELAND
McDOUGALL GREENOCK
SAVAGE ANTRIM

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 16 15:15 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages began in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages), births and deaths also from 1864. Before those dates you need to search for church records- not all survive and of those that do not all are online.

What you do need (besides religion) is a place- parish if not actual townland not just a county.

PRONI does have lots of Northern Ireland church microfilms but they need to be viewed in person.

Best to start with the information you have from (Scottish?) records. Were any of the children born in Ireland? were they or the parents alive in 1911? (the 1911 census is most likely to give a more exact place of birth than 'Ireland')
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fiona kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank  you Aghadowey, went onto Scotland's People there and searched on the 1911 census, the only person alive by then was the daughter who was born in Ireland, think I had build my hopes up a little much haha, no cigar though....just states Ireland like all the other....back to the drawing board for me :-) Thank you.
McDOUGALL GREENOCK
SAVAGE ANTRIM