Author Topic: 1841, 51 & 71 census - POPLAR/MEOT area? - BUTCHER.  (Read 699 times)

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841, 51 & 71 census - POPLAR/MEOT area? - BUTCHER.
« on: Thursday 21 July 05 03:12 BST (UK) »
 :D Hello All.  Greetings from Australia!
Could someone please look up 1841/51/71 Census in the Poplar/Mile End Old Town area, for a BENJAMIN BUTCHER (b.1813 Sussex?).
  In 1841 Census, BENJAMIN's family were at Patching St., Patching, Sussex - but BENJAMIN wasn't there at time of census.
  In 1861 Census, BENJAMIN (47, a labourer), wife CATHERINE (50) and 3 children - PRISCILLA (24, servant), BENJAMIN (22, Engine Driver), WILLIAM (18, servant), were living Manchester Road, Poplar, MDX.
  Perhaps by 1851 the family had moved to London.
  When son WILLIAM married 11 Feb 1871 St Anne Limehouse MDX to HANNAH LITTLE, he stated his father was BENJAMIN BUTCHER, occ. Coachman.
  By his second marriage in MDX on 3 Mar 1877, BENJAMIN was deceased.
  Do you think I'm on the right track (i.e., have the right BENJAMIN & family) even though his occupation is different  - a labourer in 1861, a Coachman in 1871?
  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                      Carol

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 51 & 71 census - POPLAR/MEOT area? - BUTCHER.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
I could not find them in 1851 indexes for Bethnal Green or Whitechapel.  They were probably further east.

To prove parents it is best to try to get a birth certificate but I see no reason why a labourer couldn't become a coachman.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Sylviaann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 05 13:12 BST (UK) »
I could not find them in 1851 indexes for Bethnal Green or Whitechapel.  They were probably further east.

To prove parents it is best to try to get a birth certificate but I see no reason why a labourer couldn't become a coachman.

You did not say where the children were born.

Sylviaann

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 05 06:36 BST (UK) »
 :) Hello Sylviaann,
I seem to have myself in a bit of a pickle with this search.  We're told to go backwards with our research - so the first definite find I had of WILLIAM BUTCHER (my husband's gr.grandfather) was in the 1881 Census.  He was 36yrs old, born Patching Sussex, a Carman, married to SUSANNAH A.  Their 6mth old son, WILLIAM was born Poplar MDX. They were living 15 Church St., Poplar.
  I sent for the Marr. Cert. of WILLIAM BUTCHER to SUSANNAH ALICE FARRINGTON on 3 Mar 1877, St.James the Less Church, Bethnal Green parish.  Both living 10 St.Peters Street at time of marr.  WILLIAM gave his father's name as BENJAMIN BUTCHER (deceased).  He also stated he was a widower, & Carman.  Both full age.
  I've now found & sent for the marr.cert. for his first marriage - on 11 Feb 1871 at parish church of St.Anne Limehouse, MDX.  to HANNAH LITTLE.  WILLIAM was a bachelor, a Carman, his father being BENJAMIN BUTCHER (coachman).  Both of full age & living White Horse St. at time of marr.
  This is where my uncertainty begins.  In 1871 Census WILLIAM and HANNAH were living 4 Laura Pl., Mile End Old Town.  He was a Carman.  He just gives his place of birth as Sussex.
  Patching bapt. record of 26th March, 1843 gives a WILLIAM's parents as BENJAMIN & CATHERINE BUTCHER (father a Groom).  There was also record of bapt. of brother BENJAMIN on 27 Jan 1839.
  Sent away for Birth Cert. for WILLIAM (GRO ref. 1843 Mar qtr. Worthing dist. vol VII, p.541) only to find this WILLIAM BUTCHER b.29 Jan 1843 at Patching, F: BENJAMIN BUTCHER (groom) M: CAROLINE BUTCHER (late HERRINGTON).?
  1841 Census for Patching states the only BUTCHER family as - JAMES, 60, wheelwright, MARTHA,70, CATHERINE (30), PRISCILLA (4), BENJAMIN (2) - all born in Sussex.
  1861 Census (Manchester Rd., Poplar) states - BENJAMIN BUTCHER (47, lab.), CATHERINE (50), PRISCILLA (24, serv.), BENJAMIN (22, engine driver), WILLIAM (18, serv.), & a lodger Frederick Brooker (30, blacksmith).  All born in Sussex (but doesn't state town).
  I'd like to think this is the 'right' BUTCHER family (as son WILLIAM JAMES, 6mths old in 1881 census, had a sister & brother names Catherine & Benjamin) but when I received the Birth Cert. for WILLIAM giving a different mother, I became very confused.
  I'm sorry to waffle on, but this is the only way I can explain it!
  Any help is appreciated.
                                                             Carol

Offline Sylviaann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 05 12:53 BST (UK) »
I coudn't find Benjamin, Caroline or Catherine in the 1871 I have access to.

It is a strange situation and I cannot think why the names would be different unless someone has put the wrong name on the certificate

There do seem to be a lot of Benjamin Butchers in Sussex.

I hope someone else can help you.  I believe you can now subscribe   on S&N and look at the 1851 census.  I believe it cost £5 and would be well worth it as I don't think many people have the 1851 census indexes for Poplar.

Sorry I don't think I can help any more.  Hope someone with a partial index can find them.

Sylviaann

Offline acher1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 05 01:51 BST (UK) »
 :)  Thank you very much for your reply Sylviaann.
You mentioned about subscribing on S&N to look at the 1851 Census.  What does 'S&N' mean?
  Thanks again.
                                                                   Carol

Offline Sylviaann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 July 05 11:13 BST (UK) »
It's S & N Genealogy Supplies
http://www.genealogysupplies.com/

A better one might be
www.thegenealogist.co.uk

It's £5 for 30 days I think

Sylviaann