Author Topic: Elsie Priscilla Fisk nee Burch.  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie Priscilla Fisk nee Burch.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 May 16 01:51 BST (UK) »
Interesting the find of Ruby (Rupert) Pettit - I note he didn't marry until he was 39 and that he and wife Ethel Bass had no children.   He lived in Camberwell in London in 1920 and then appears to have returned to Suffolk where he married Ethel in 1927.   They then lived in Greenwich from 1928 until 1937 but by 1939 were back in Suffolk.   He died just 2 years later in 1941.

He served as a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery and when he enlisted on 5/5/1915 his address was 26 Deptford Bridge, Greenwich and he was working as a Barman.   Quite a change from the occupation that he had in 1911.  When demobbed 15/4/1919 he gave his address as his fathers in Stowmarket though clearly returned to London as living at 121 Albert Road, Camberwell the following year.

In view of your find one can't help wondering if he was indeed the culprit and ran off to London to escape responsibility (or are we maligning an innocent man).

Certainly, I feel sure that a Mr. Pettit was indeed her father.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AbbieC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 May 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
Very interesting info.  I guess we will never know for sure. I get stuck in tracing my line going forward from the1911 census.  Could you tell me how you are able to find so much info from that date please?
Suffolk....  Keeble, Johnson, Fisk, Aggis, Vince, Creek
Lancashire.......  Whitehead, Williams,

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 May 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
Very interesting info.  I guess we will never know for sure. I get stuck in tracing my line going forward from the1911 census.  Could you tell me how you are able to find so much info from that date please?

Resources after 1911 are Electoral rolls, military service/pension records, b/m/d indexes of course, plus the 1939 Register.   I must confess that in this instance it was lucky in that Rupert Pettit was an uncommon name and that he'd lived in London for some time.   Electoral rolls online are an ongoing project and as yet not much is online - Suffolk isn't yet.   Ancestry have the London ones, plus they have military service records (as does FindMyPast) although the latter does not always help as only around 30% survived after being bombed during WW2.   Neither of my own 2 grandfathers records survived alas, but was lucky in that Rupert Pettit's did.   The 1939 Register was done of the eve of WW2 of the civil population of England and Wales.   It can only be viewed online at FindMyPast and became available in 2015.

Hope this helps.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk