Author Topic: Joseph Gregg & Emma Litchfield photo mystery  (Read 4345 times)

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Gregg & Emma Litchfield photo mystery
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 June 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
I use a Tablet Computer to look at images, easy to rotate and zoom in and out.

Also ask your cousin to examine the oval shape I can see in the centre, may be a Studio logo or suchlike. Think I can see letters and numbers, one number may read 531. Can't make out the other characters.
Or could be a mark left by a prop or stand.

A source of UV light may help. Is there a museum near by which could help?

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 June 16 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tony, I will see what they come back with.
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 June 16 09:28 BST (UK) »
If Jane Litchfield is the sitter in the photo she must be on 1841/1851 and possibly 1861 Census//

I did a bit of digging;

These are all the Litchfield/Lichfields I found Christened to a JOSEPH/JANE on Familysearch.Org;
ELIZA, 14 September 1817. St James the Less, Ashted, Warwickshire
MARY ANN, 15 June 1821, St. Martin's, Birmingham, Warwickshire
EMMA/WILLIAM, 10 November 1824, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
JOSEPH, 11 Aug 1828, St Martin, Birmingham, Warwickshire
GEORGE, 20 July 1829, St Martin, Birmingham, **Buried 24 January 1836
CAROLINE, 27 Aug 1832, St Martin, Birmingham

So this fits the 1841 Census below as Emma is there;

1841 Census
Meriden St,
St Martin, Birmingham, Warwickshire
HO107/1142/3/St Martin
Jane LICHFIELD, 40, no occp
EMMA, 15
Joseph, 14
Caroline, 8
All down as born in County

Carolines Christening is on Anc Fathers Occp Car Driver
An Joseph its Horse keeper
On both address is Meriden St.

Note spelling is LICHFIELD.

Caroline LITCHFIELD age 22 Married Richard Henry MASES, 13 Mar 1854 Aston, St Peter and St Paul, Warwickshire, Father JOSEPH, Occp Carman

Having trouble finding her and Jane in 1851 though.

Trish :)

EDIT FreeBMD has the Marriage as CATHERINE Lichfield with no coresponding Spouse

1881 they are under MOSES, Caroline born c 1833 Birmingham
They are living in Meriden St (she didnt move far!)
1861/1871 under MOSSES
1891 Richard is Widowed
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 June 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks Trish  :) - I have a lot to learn about searching these yet!  ::) I will sit down after tea and go back over it all. Thanks so much..... hope to get to the bottom of it as I would love to put a definite name to the photo.

Hayley
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 June 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Hayley.

I have added a bit more to it re Caroline you may have not seen.

Still cant find Joseph/Jane 1851/1861 though.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes I spent a good part of my cuppa and lunchtime today searching for them..... its a good time waster that's for sure! I'm still halfway going through street names in one of the census to see who lives in the same street! Such are the things to do on a wet and cold day!

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
Marriage entry on FreeBMD for March quarter 1854 in Aston district shows Richard Henry MOSES and Caroline LITCHFIELD on the same page.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB, dont know what I did :-[

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 June 16 11:07 BST (UK) »
Oki Doki bit more to add

So the lady who gave the photo to my great Aunt came from a family of 16 children, 14 of which went through to adulthood!! All of which I feel have been named after ancestors (YES thanks GGGM Harriett! [I feel she was a family historian before her time!])

Most names I have accounted for - be they fathers, grandfathers, grandmothers, grandmothers maiden names, uncles and great.... you get the drift etc.

However there is a few I can not account for and one is Robert George Jennings King (King being his surname). This sparked my interest when I saw Charles Jennings on the 1841 Census that Trish turned up. I comes under a different household but on the page it doesn't seem to. Coincidence?? So is Jennings Jane Litchfield's Maiden name?? Or it is her second husband?? I cant seem to find anything. There were a few other names I didnt associate with (mind you it was the last few children so she would have had to be running out of options!). These were Alfred, Edwin, Duncan, Walter and Victor Hugh. Also Jessie turns up twice - once as a first name and then as a second name in the girls which I cant associate.

Interesting to note that Charles Jennings is also a Carman (Whatever that is) which is what Jane's husband Joseph was before he disappears.

Thanks again for the interest - the mystery continues.
Hayley