Author Topic: 'Tribal Pursuits' Kent to Devon'?  (Read 4007 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Tribal Pursuits' Kent to Devon'?
« on: Tuesday 31 May 16 07:50 BST (UK) »
I am trying to Find where Thomas Tillman senior came from.
All I have is that his son Thomas Tillman Jnr joined the Navy at Chatham on the 3rd May 1832, as an ordinary Seaman onboard H.M.S. Caster ( launched the day before from Chatham yard).
There is no date of birth on his ADM entry form only the remark ' Age given as 21'.
For us the most enlightening event, is shown on ADM 27/52/180, when Thomas, while on the  ’Brune’ made an allotment to his Wife Henerietta ( who he had married at Gillingham, Kent on 28th march 1837), at that time she was living c/o Mrs Hobbs in Brimpton Kent, ( name of street unreadable). It seems that Thomas joined the ‘Brune’ two days after his marriage and remained in her at Chatham till 26th June 1838.
For our research, we find on ADM 27/61 in 1838, on joining ‘Columbine’ he made allotments to his Mother Sarah at Watermans Lane, Rochester, Kent to be paid in Chatham,   ( ref. 37073-096 Folios 18-20). This can be read several ways : Father had died and Mother needed some financial aid,  or , his wife Henerietta was now living in Chatham, with Thomas’s  Mother -  however (Thomas Jnr, married Ann Wilton on the 26th feb 1844) so maybe Henerietta had died ? 

Best

John 1935

p.s.   I have forward info on Thomas Jnr's son and Grandson, both Navy but transfered to Portsmouth                     
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tribal Pursuits' Kent to Devon'?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 08:17 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has 2 Thomas TILLMANS born 1814 both having parents called Thomas and Sarah  ::)

Here's the baptism entry for the Rocheter one

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hq0/

and the Chatham one

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hq1/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 08:25 BST (UK) »
Where did you get Thomas (Jnrs) fathers name from  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie

Well funny you should ask that ! -UPDATE  - on son of ‘Thomas the Mariner’? -  Aunty’s  page 392.

My Great Aunt Elizabeth Mary Tillman wrote a book called 'The Story of a Saxon Family' part 1 and she had thought that Thomas might have been the missing son of our Peter & Thomasin (Tammy) Tillman from Lympstone Devon  - seems younger Thomas is not, due to a Mother's name of Sarah - older one would be in wrong age bracket, but might still be related.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Bearkat

Thanks for those two, on fuzzy logic, it could be the Shipwright, but cannot quite make out what the occupation of the other is ?
I had up to now only found the possible from family search - the shipwright.
Had same problem of chasing four named  John all born very close in time and location, someone suggested that I would have to follow all four ( and they were correct) but it took three years !

Best

John

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 10:48 BST (UK) »
I think it says drudger but could be dredger.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 11:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bearkat

Don't know what a Drudger might have been ( someone who was a bit of a Drudge ??).

But dredger yes and if son worked on boat with father, then went into Navy, having some sea experience?

However that again 'Puts the cat amongst the pigeons' - as with the Shipwright working in the Dockyard he could have tipped his son off about there being a job going on the 'Castor'.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 08:57 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Bearkat

Cityark Medway - a friend had suggested that I tried that site, I did and on search put in Tillman - ALL I got back was one hit ( for a Lawyer called Tillman ) so I must be doing something wrong !! could you clue me in please, as I need to find Thomas's marriage to Henrietta at Gillingham on 28th March 1837 - this was noted on the ADM on which he had sent an allotment to his wife Henrietta  from H.M.S Brune.

Also the allotment from H.M.S. Columbine to his Mother SARAH at Watermans Lane Rochester in 1838  might help us decide on which Thomas he is ?

Best

John

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 09:35 BST (UK) »
Medway cityark has images of the parish registers

http://tinyurl.com/Medway-Cityark

scoll down the page for the list of parishes.

Here's a direct link to the marriage entry

http://tinyurl.com/Tillman-marriage

You'll need to scroll across for the right hand page.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE