Author Topic: More Dillons that disappear into thin air  (Read 676 times)

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More Dillons that disappear into thin air
« on: Thursday 02 June 16 15:09 BST (UK) »
I've got another Dillon woman which seems to be related to my lot but as in previous cases seems to disappear as suddenly as she appeared on the records.

I first noticed a Bridget Dillon on a baptism record (a transcription CD from the MLFHS) where she was shown as being the Wife of a Thomas Brien and the Mother of Thomas born in 1848. The Godparents to the baptism were a Robert and Sarah Dillon.

There is a Robert and Sarah Dillon that I have come across before whom I believe to be related to my lot and since there is only one couple called Robert and Sarah Dillon in the 1841 and 1851 censuses in Manchester I have assumed that the Robert and Sarah on the baptism record are the same same people which would suggest that Bridget is a relative.

I then tried to find Bridget, her Husband and son in census returns but with very little luck. The only census return I have been able to find is in 1851 (HO107; Piece: 2230; Folio: 332; Page: 46) and the address on this return matches up with Bridget and Thomas's marriage certificate. Their son is not shown in 1851 but looking at the death indexes it appears that he died in 1850. Bridget and Thomas are shown as being from Ireland.

The marriage certificate of 1845 gives Thomas's age as 27 and Bridget's as 25. Thomas is described as a labourer and Bridget as a hawker with both living on New Mount Street at the time of the marriage. Bridget was the son of William Dillon and Thomas was the son of a Thomas O'Brien, both Fathers are described as labourers.

These are the only records that I can find of Bridget Dillon, I had hoped that I might find something linking Bridget to other Dillons to try and break through my 1800 brick wall.

If any one has any ideas it would be really helpful.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: More Dillons that disappear into thin air
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 16 00:05 BST (UK) »
Think this is possibly them in 1881

Manchester, St George: 76 Pump Street

Thomas O'Brian  hd mar 67 Fruit dealer  bn Co. Mayo, Ireland
Bridget             wf     "  64                     "    "      "        "

Class: RG11; Piece: 3998; Folio: 88; Page: 43

A couple of doors away from them is a 70 yr old Martin O'Brian, bn Co. Mayo with his son Michael (36 bn Galway) ~ possible relation of Thomas.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
Possibly Bridget in 1871:

15 New Mount Street, Manchester

Bridget Bryan Head Wid 59 Washerwoman b Ireland
Annie Bryan Dau Unm 15 Cotton Spinner b Lancashire Manchester

Edited:  Possibly not her after all, although the address looked good.  There is a Bridget Bryan with husband John in 1861 and a daughter Ann of the right age  :(
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:00 BST (UK) »
Think this is possibly them in 1881

Manchester, St George: 76 Pump Street

Thomas O'Brian  hd mar 67 Fruit dealer  bn Co. Mayo, Ireland
Bridget             wf     "  64                     "    "      "        "

Class: RG11; Piece: 3998; Folio: 88; Page: 43

A couple of doors away from them is a 70 yr old Martin O'Brian, bn Co. Mayo with his son Michael (36 bn Galway) ~ possible relation of Thomas.

claire

Thank you so much for finding that Claire I think that looks very probable, it may just be a coincidence but Robert Dillon's brother George was described on censuses as a "hawker of fruit" (this George is another Dillon who seems to disappear into thin air).

If this is all correct (including my assumptions that Bridget is a relative), which on the balance of probability I think it is then I may now have a county of origin for my Dillons which would be a huge step forwards!

I'll do some more research around this to try and make it a bit more concrete.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)