Author Topic: Allan Ansell of Danescourt, Oxshott  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Allan Ansell of Danescourt, Oxshott
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 November 22 08:42 GMT (UK) »
That's really interesting. Someone has done some amazing research there and he was lucky to have a surviving service record - I can't find any mention at all that my grandfather even served! It sounds as if he was  at fault for the accident but we'll never know. It may have been simply be due to his boss being late for something and telling him to get a move on. 
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 November 22 11:32 GMT (UK) »
From what I read it sounded like the accident was the result of reckless driving.  Mr Ansell was driving and his chauffeur was the passenger.  He tried to overtake two cars, one was already overtaking the other, with a lorry approaching in the opposite direction.  Both were thrown out of the car which suggests to me it was an open topped vehicle.

Regards,
Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 November 22 12:10 GMT (UK) »
None of the newspaper reports I've read said Mr Ansell was driving and as Cloude's son appeared as a witness to say  his father had been driving since 1902 had a clean licence and was  teetotal I assume he had been behind the wheel. A couple of reports say that the car was a Rolls Royce and one that it was a saloon. I imagine, depending on what damage had been done it, would have been quite possible for both victims to have been thrown from it considering the speed it was going.
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.