Author Topic: Thomas Boyd and Leticia Wallace Boyd family Members  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Robmatewsky-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Boyd and Leticia Wallace Boyd family Members
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 August 21 13:18 BST (UK) »
This was mentioned on the Orrfamilyreunion.com
Site in regards to the location of the Farm..
Paul Orr was the son of Captain Orr and his wife Mary Faeth. Paul's date of birth is unknown. Because his wife was born in 1765, his birth year is assumed to be close to hers. Paul paid taxes in 1823 on a property in the Townland of Rhee, which is in Aghadowey Parish in the County of Londonderry, near Coleraine.

He married Isabella Boyd and operated a grain mill, which would probably have been on the Aghadowey or Macosquin Rivers. He is said to have been ill-tempered, and he and Isabella separated. She had inherited money from her family, and they divided the property. She got the home and its five acres and two cows. "Paul kept the mill on the Reafs. In later years, he sold it and came to America. His history closes here; no one knows what became

Offline Robmatewsky-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 August 21 14:31 BST (UK) »
Are you familiar or in contact with the Boyd families mentioned in the “
Mary Semple letters “that are in the Book
“ Blair Family of New England” ?
I wonder if there still around and if any would be willing to do a dna test .

Offline Robmatewsky-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 August 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
Mike Boyd Historian has some info on this family I believe . This Boyd Group is very helpful and Mike Has compiled a lot on the Boyd Families and always looking to here from others how they are connected to the Boyd’s.  To join the Group go to

Main+subscribe@CLANBOYD-HOB.groups.io

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 August 21 20:23 BST (UK) »
The 1950s version of the Orr family history had a photo, etc. of the 'Orr family mansion' which was actually Lizard Manor home of the Agent of the Ironmongers' Company. It was actually built AFTER the Orrs left Ireland.
Amongst Mary Semple's letters were descriptions of the 'village of Aghadowey' (no such village), 'a deposit bank' (a mystery since there is no trace of it ever being here), Ballydwitt (Ballydevitt), Sleigh Gallon (Slieve Gullion which is about 30 miles away), Mrs. Lochdale (Lopdell) and other errors.

I know Mike Boyd but you still haven't mentioned what your connection is to the Boyd family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Robmatewsky-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 August 21 21:04 BST (UK) »
My Dads Biological Grandfather is a Boyd.
I found him on ancestry a couple years ago. We where unknown to each other. His father passed at age 30 and don’t have much passed down. Just what I’ve been able to research through record and comparing dna. I have my line traced Back to John Boyd 1795 B:Va Married Elizabeth Dungan Born 7Mile Ford Smyth, VA .
I mentioned some of this line in an earlier reply. The land mentioned on the OrrFamilyReunion.com site is nothing to do with the mansion. I posted that in an earlier reply as well.
As I mentioned R-U198 is my Ydna Haplo. Which is the noble Boyd line. A nephew of the Last Clan Boyd Chief did a Y test and I share a common ancestor with them and many other Boyds with that haplo in the FTDNA Boyd project. It’s a mystery who the father of my 1795 John Boyd is.
The just have this cluster of dna matches that have trees which point to Aghadowey, Coleraine. The decendants of John Buckles Boyd are my 2nd closest Ydna match in the Ftdna Boyd dna project
We share a common ancestor.
Thanks for clarifying the Mary Semple letters. I appreciate it. Rob Matewsky

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 August 21 21:55 BST (UK) »
For some reason I didn't get notification of reply #17 where you explained your Boyd connection and because the thread continued on another page I asked again about your connection.
Started looking at OH's DNA results for Boyds and discovered something very interesting which I want to explore further. One of the people he matches with the surname Boyd (no guarantee they are related via Boyds of course) has firm matches with known relatives so I can pinpoint where that Boyd match comes in.
I also manage friend's DNA and the above mentioned Boyd connection which also ties into the same family line so will do a bit more searching. However, the dates are far enough back to make it more difficult to find records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Robmatewsky-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 August 21 22:40 BST (UK) »
Sounds good! I figured that.  That’s a small screen shot of my tree in the attachment on the last reply. What’s nice is I have my Moms Dna ,Dads Dna and my dads- moms dna so I been able to rule things out by crossmatching . My Dads father is also on ancestry but don’t have access to it yet. He lives on the other side of the country and haven’t been able to make my way over there yet to meet him. He’s 90 and not online much.
Elaine Orr who helps manage the Isabelle Boyd - Paul/ Orr family webpage is a 20cm match of my Dads.I also match a few of others to this line and the other maternal lines I mentioned. I just haven’t found any living Boyd’s who have a paper trail to Aghadowey, Coleraine area to compare with .
The rest of my family is all from different regions that I don’t think crossover at all after comparing.

Offline Robmatewsky-Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 August 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
Our gedmatch kit numbers

Me Ged qn5080337 ftdna- Boyd Project and U198 project - 893293 
Dads
Rob Sr bg4257981
Dads Half sister on the Boyd side
A763275