Author Topic: Dundee Society of Spiritualists, 1940  (Read 4002 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Dundee Society of Spiritualists, 1940
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 June 16 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Doddsie,

Thank goodness it was not removed. I have enlarged it as Monica did and it reads very well.

Yes, she must have been a very special person and thanks for giving your permission for it to be used for other modern day Spiritualists to read (others too).

My own grandmother and father were involved in Spiritualism in Dundee before and after WW2. My sister, husband and myself are present day demonstrators and healers with the Spiritualist Church.

Thanks again,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 June 16 21:22 BST (UK) »

Thank you for sharing that, very moving and beautifully written.

(it does enlarge fine)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 January 23 18:13 GMT (UK) »
        It might not be everyone's cup of tea this, but if you read the content closely then some of her descriptions are amazing.     You would almost think she'd seen these things herself.    I hope you can enlarge it enough to make it readable.       

What a beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing such a treasure!  I notice that it was letter-headed by the Shettleston, Tollcross and Govan branch of the British Legion. My grandmother was in this area at the same time as your grandmother. I wonder if she ever went to your grandmother's meetings. She would have been very interested in that sort of thing. She used to read the Tarot cards and read tea-leaves, but as I learnt on my own Spiritualist journey, these can be used as a focus whilst making your 'links'. Like your grandmother, she, too, was 'special'. I have inherited her Tarot cards and whilst I don't use them, they are a treasured reminder of my grandmother. 😊

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 January 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
    Wallbanger,
                     Thanks for your comments.       My grandmother lived in tenements in various streets just off the Gallowgate from 1921 up until 1928.      About two hundreds yards east of Parkhead Cross on Tollcross Road, there is an very old Salvation Army building, and I suspect that is the place she was attending.     

In 1928, she managed to get a semi detached house about two miles east of Parkhead.             

Offline wallbanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 January 23 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doddsie,

My grandmother's family were in Chester St, which I think came under Shettleston, but they always referred to it as Tollcross. My great aunt taught at Tollcross and kept up a correspondence with many of her pupils most of her life. They all eventually moved to Lamington, and finally ended up in England in the 30's. 😊 It's been lovely to swap stories. x

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 January 23 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi doddsie

Is this old post on another forum connected to your Widdop family?

www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12833

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 January 23 00:04 GMT (UK) »
         Wallbanger,
                           Chester St is on the north side of Shettleston Rd, and South Chester St is  directly opposite on south side of Shettleston Rd.     I had a haircut at the corner of South Chester St and Shettleston Rd just the other day.    In the old days the tram cars used to rattle along Shettleston Road, and Shettleston Rd was always a great place for small shops.    There was always a great hustle and bustle in Shettleston Road back then.

Monica,
                      My grandmother's maiden name was Holmes and she married Harry Widdop in 1913. This is the Evelyn Widdop who wrote the poem about the first world war.  The Widdop family actually lived in the house where I am living now        Grandmother is buried at St John's Episcopal church in Baillieston, and so are my parents. 

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 January 23 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Interesting!
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald