Author Topic: Hop picking  (Read 3316 times)

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Caroline in a natural pose
    • View Profile
Hop picking
« on: Thursday 21 July 05 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all

My nan said that her granny often went hop-picking in Kent. Do you think there are any lists of people employed in hop picking available for research?

All thoughts appreciated greatly!

Caz
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hop picking
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 05 15:51 BST (UK) »
I doubt it.  Whole families would decamp to the hop fields every year and were employed on a casual basis. 
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 05 15:53 BST (UK) »
Ah, never mind. It was a long shot!

Thanks very much

Caz
Gilder - Thaxted<br />Lagden - South Weald/Shenfield<br />Rivers - Thaxted/Great Bardfield<br />Loveday - Elmdon/Chrishall<br />Wood - Tiverton<br />Tunnage - Ongar<br />Webb - Travellers<br />Hitching - Thaxted/Essex

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 05 17:33 BST (UK) »
Suttontrust is right.  Thousands of people, mainly Londoners, went hop picking in Kent every year.   You might be lucky in finding information especially  if your family visited the same farm every year.   Many books have been published and there are lots of photos.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 July 05 18:00 BST (UK) »
You might like to look through this site (it is the old Whitbread Hop Farm)

http://www.theheritagetrail.co.uk/industrial/hop%20farm%20country%20park.htm

Having picked hops by hand when much younger (I think it was one of the last seasons before mechanization). It was dry, hot, dusty work. Many Kentish pubs last out a full year on the money made in a few weeks of drinking by the hop pickers. This was so important to the local community that you should find lots of sources, but you would need to know the village to have any real hope of finding a name in an archived farm account. I seem to recall that we were paid by the busshell (a wicker basket used to measure the hops) and someone would have written down who was owed what. A few of these books may survive.

Good luck

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline carrielovesfanta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 05 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much guys. I don't think my nan knows the name of the farm but I will get on the "blower" and see what I can dig up!

Thanks again and best wishes

Caz

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 05 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hop picking went on right into the 1950's/60's.  My dad used to go every year with his mother/various rellies and even when he started work he used to go down for the weekend.  It was seen as a way to get a 'holiday'

ec

P.S. - always known as 'opping