Author Topic: (Land) Steward, Faughanvale, Derry  (Read 2947 times)

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: (Land) Steward, Faughanvale, Derry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 August 19 22:20 BST (UK) »
I'm only seeing this thread now, and jumping on because Joseph Irwin (c1800-1897) was my 3 x great-grandfather.  He died at Carrickhugh on 2 Feb 1897.  I would be happy to hook up with McKeown, or any other Irwin family members and share what I know of the Irwins of Carrickhugh and the Irwins of Drumacarney, who I believe are related. 

Joseph's daughter, Margaret Jane (Peggy) Irwin (1837-1904) was my 2 x great-grandmother.  She married William John Ferguson at Ballykelly Presbyterian Church on 19 Apr 1855 and they had a large family (12 that I'm aware of) including my great-grandfather, Matthew William Ferguson (1873-1915). 

William John Ferguson was also a Land Steward, as were one or two other members of my Ferguson family.  I used to think that being a Land Steward meant managing one of the big landed estates like Drenagh, but I suspect the role may have been more akin to farm manager.

My granny, Maggie Irwin Ferguson (1906-1984) was born in Limavady but, after her father died (as the result of a work related accident on the Glasgow underground) her mother brought the children home to Limavady.  I presume my great-granny must have struggled financially, as Maggie was then farmed out (through the Reformed Presbyterian Church) to live as a companion to an elderly lady and her brother on a farm near Hilltown, County Down, which is where she eventually met my granda, who she married in 1925.

Joseph Irwin's other known children were James, Joseph, Eliza Ann, Robert and Edward. Joseph junior(birth and death dates not known) married Eliza (surname and date of marriage unknown) and they had at least two children, yet another Joseph and Robert.  The son Joseph (c1858-1894) married his first cousin, Nanetta (Nancy) Ferguson in Glasgow in 1892.  She was the daughter of Peggy Irwin and W J Ferguson (my great-great-aunt).  Joseph and Nancy came back to Limavady but unfortunately, Joseph developed Bright's Disease and died in January 1894, in Drumacarney.  Nancy then moved back to live with her father in William Street Limavady, and died at Lisnakilly in 1924.  Joseph's 1892 marriage certificate describes his father Joseph's occupation as Captain of Police, but I have not yet found any records to substantiate that, or whether he carried out that role in Ireland, Scotland, or somewhere else entirely.

Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams